Disk Enclosures
1752777 Members
6242 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What kind of PDU are supplied with an EVA4000 Starter?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

What kind of PDU are supplied with an EVA4000 Starter?

We had a bit of a headache recently getting power to a couple of R5500 UPS's to supply a c-Class enclosure so I'm just trying to get a heads-up on requirements for the EVA4000.

Documentation states that the rack comes with "6 power strips and 2 0-U PDUs".

What kind of receptacle will the PDUs need to be supplied by?

As the documentation states R3000 UPS compatibility, I'd guess it comes with the "rectangle" (IEC C-19?) connectors to plug into the single such connector in an R3000?

I just want to make sure that it doesn't come with the "commando" style receptacles!

Regards,

Paul
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Re: What kind of PDU are supplied with an EVA4000 Starter?

Sorry, to clarify, this will be UK-based in case it's relevant.

Paul
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

I've got a feeling it might well be the commando style plugs (IEC-309 32A), although the QuickSpecs for the EVA don't make this particularly clear...

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12408_div/12408_div.html

"The EVA4000 Starter Kits, EVA4000/6000 will be configured into a 42U HP 10000 G2 Series Rack with the appropriate PDU."

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Hmm, certainly nothing definitive that I can find anywhere. Seems somewhat overkill to supply an EVA4000 (i.e. max 4 trays) with such a huge power "supply" potential!

Makes a bit of a mockery of stating in the hardware guide that R1500/R3000's can be used with it as there'd be no way of connecting them in that case?

Unless of course you use the PDU to power the UPS! Nah, that would be silly! Only one socket on the UPS then to connect your power strips to!

Oh well, if it does come with the 32A PDU then I guess we'll just leave them dangling & fit a couple of R3000's to the bottom of the rack & run them from those instead...

Regards,

Paul
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Paul,

on every EVA Rack I've ever installed, it's had those big blue 32A connectors (IEC309) on the PDU. Even if it only had 1 disk shelf! It could be considered overkill, but all EVAs can be expanded to have more disk shelves, and a 4000 can be easily upgraded to a 6000.
The EVA rack has 8 extension bars or power strips (each with 8x IEC-C14, I think), with 4 on each side. Each Power Strip is connected to the PDU via an IEC-C14 plug.
You could reconfigure the rack with R3000 UPSes at the bottom, and connect the power strips (or the EVA components themselves) directly to the UPS.

Just in case you need it, here's the power cord matrix from HP:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/ProLiantstorage/power-protection/power-cord-option-kits.pdf

Regards,
Stephen
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Many thanks for the help guys - I'll warn TPTB to get some more 32A sockets in next time we're doing electrical work in the server room for future use...