Disk Enclosures
1752574 Members
4749 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Which Physical drives make up Logical Drive?

Michael Graham_3

Which Physical drives make up Logical Drive?

I have a server with a Smart Array 431 Controller with 12 drives in it. There are 5 logical drives assigned in the controller. I need to upgrade the disks (2 of them) for one of the logical drives. I see an ID inside Windows 2000, but it's a logical drive id, not a scsi id. How do I correlate logical drives to physical drives? I went into the array utility hoping it would tell me that drives X and Z make up logical drive A, but it doesn't do that. Can anyone offer some help?
4 REPLIES 4
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Which Physical drives make up Logical Drive?

Michael:

When you use SmartStart, you can select the Array (logical volume) an it will tag the selected phisical drives by flashing the LED's on the drives themselves. Be careful that you do not replace more than one drive at a time and let your array rebuild fully.

If this does not happen (i.e., flashing LED's), be sure you have the latest bios loaded on the controller.

G'luck!
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Michael Graham_3

But how do I know which logical drive is the drive that I'm looking for in Windows? In Windows I can see that it's Scsi Port 5, Target ID 2, Lun 0. Those are the hardware stats on that logical drive. I need to know which 2 hard drives make up that logical drive. So I guess my question is really 2 questions, how do I find which logical drive is the drive I need to replace in Windows, then once I know which logical drive, how do I correlate that to physical drives?
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

You need to install the smart array Utility from this link. From there you should be able to see which physical drives make which, logical drive

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17764.html

I hope this will help

Regards
Amha Kassa
Michael Graham_3

Ok, I downloaded the Web based Array Utility, but I see the same info as Utility on the SmartStart CD. Nowhere do I see anything that says "this logical drive is composed of Drive 0 and Drive 3" (or something similar). Also, how do I know which logical drive is my G: drive?