7374 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Who Failed the MSA2324fc SW?

Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Who Failed the MSA2324fc SW?

I really wonder...

When a disk fails and a spare takes its place, why is the failed disk shown as 'Leftover' and given a GREEN checkmark in the graphical views?
(Leftovers is what I eat for dinner every other day... )

Why is it logging the replacement of a drive as an 'Informational' event?
Shouldn't that qualify as a warning?
This is important because email alerts can be set to one out of three levels: Full Spam, Warning or Critical. (Does anyone use the 'All' setting?)

Also, why no DNS support?
You know, so that we can enter the name of the SMTP-server instead of the IP-address?
3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Who Failed the MSA2324fc SW?

Hey, don't have any MSA2k logs to look at. But aren't there other events when a disk goes into leftover that are higher than 'informational'?

I believe leftover indicates that there are some metadata left over on the disk.
Some more information about that here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01907667

And the DNS thing that's just amazing.. :p I don't think the forum is the right place to put in a request for new feature. But maybe the right person will see this :)
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

The first reason listed on that page I can accept, but the second is just hogwash.
(Not that it applies as there hasn't been a power-down of that kit in half a year.)

The drives listed as 'Leftover' in my system have all numerous read-errors and S.M.A.R.T warnings listed in the logs(all informational events), and are definitely caput.

Drives marked 'Leftover' according to the first reson shouldn't be marked as green, either as there's 'something' special about them.

As for requesting features... Wouldn't have a clue as to where to send stuff like that.
(Besides, I like complaining in public forums)

BTW: In addition to DNS, it doesn't seem to support IPv6, either.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Incidentally, it seems you can't have '@domain.something' in the 'Sender' field.
A test button wouldn't have hurt, either.
(Not that I mind yanking HDDs to trigger error messages, but... sometimes I'm lazy)