5735 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows 2000 Server Setup Hang

Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

Windows 2000 Server Setup Hang

Hi,

Our Server is a Compaq ML530 P19 800/128 Mhz, 1GB RAM, with Smart array 3200 with an existing NT4 OS. 4x18GB HD, RAID5 with online spare.

Whenever I boot the win2k installer cd, the setup hangs after loading all the drivers. The screen that is supposed to ask to Press Enter to Continue, R for repair and F3 to quit does not appear. All lights of the HD are on as if it is reading.

I have already updated the BIOS and Firmware of the scsi controller but thesame problem.

What are the possible reasons why Win2K setup hangs?

I have another Identical server (twin server, all hardware settings are thesame but with Netware 5 OS) and the win2k setup runs fine on that machine.

Could this be a controller problem?

If I swap the controllers of the two servers, will it have any effect on the data of both the servers?

jian
7 REPLIES 7
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 2000 Server Setup Hang

there is an utility in the smartstart cd that is used to clear all the config of the server, this utility will clear ramcmos and reset all the resources in the server (irq, mem allocations...)
then, be sure to select W2K in the bios setup before to install the OS, because w2k is P&P and NT4 was not.

marino
Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

This procedure should not erase our data in the HD right??
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

yes it will clear all
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I mean: the utility will clear all config data and will inizialize Hdd, so your data will be not accessible anymore
Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

No, I want to preserve all data...
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're trying to upgrade an NT4 machine to Win2k.

Does it still boot into NT4?

If so, you could backup the data, then reset the config, install the OS, and restore the data.

Also, if I remember my Win2k upgrade procedures, you should be able to perform the upgrade by booting NT4, insert the install CD, and upgrade from there (ie: usermode, rather than bootmode).

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

Swapping the SCSI Controllers had thesame result(hang up). But after swapping the HDs, then everything went fine. I guess it has something to do with the CMOS setup (main board).

I just finished installing Win2K with all my data in Drive D.

Thanks all for the reply/suggestions.