Disk Enclosures
1753465 Members
4632 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows Server 2003 Hot Swap

Bronson Sweet

Windows Server 2003 Hot Swap

Windows Server 2003, when i hot swap my hard drives which are identical SCSI 72.8 U320 10Krpm drives. The disk fails. If i go into disk managment in 2k3server. The drive is there but wont initialize. Its a compaq Any ideas?? The Model is "Compaq Proliant ML350"

SCSI (Ultra160) PCI 64
3 30.6 gig drives
2 72.8 (these are the hot swapable drives)

please Email me if have questions
thelawrencearm@hotmail.com

thanks.

Bronson D. Sweet
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

maybe the disk is just bad.
I just confugured a brand new Alpha and one of it's 36gb went bad. No chance to format.
Had to replace it.
The other option would be to look for firmware difference.

greetings,

Michael
Bronson Sweet

When i put the new one at first it didnt do anything at first. I did a restart and it gives me an Configure and Intialize Wizard when i open Disk managment. I followed it and it gives me the new volume... Which is great. When i put the old drive back in. It doesnt give me the wizard and wont initalize.

Thank you for you help. I will try updating the firmware

Bronson
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well there you go. You say you first remove one and only one of the drives with the system up, correct? Not both. You replaced the single drive, and nothing, apparent to you , happened. Unfortunately something did happen. The volume immediately started to be restripped to the new drive. THis process happens in background as part of the hot swap process. When you rebooted, you interrupted the process and it sounds as if, corrupted the array. Then upon restart, since the array had not been rebuilt yet, re-recognized the new drive as a unconfigured drive to the RAID and again unfortunately, you reconfigured it.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Bronson Sweet

The drives that i am switching out are not on that raid array. They are stand alone drives. So its not possible for it to stripe to it.
Array 1 (these are the stiped drives, the other on is redundant)
|
|
|
|

Array 2
|
|
|---72 (hot swap)

When i put the newer drive in. It will let me format, configure it, and intialize it. Once i do that it and then put in the older drive it no longer recognizes it. It says that it has "failed" Then i take the old drive out and put the newer drive back in and i have to format, configure it, and intialize it.