1753416 Members
6596 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Wipe Disk Array

Drew_20

Wipe Disk Array

I have several servers from various manufactureres (mostly Compaq) with RAID5 configurations. The company is closing down and I need to start selling the servers. I need to "wipe" the drives. Wipe.exe works fine for workstations and basic SCSI but what can I use for drives on RAID controllers.
We are closing and I'm looking
5 REPLIES 5
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

Re: Wipe Disk Array

Download the Erase Utility from the compaq.com\support web site. That should do it.
Drew_20

I have the CD and saw the system erase utility but I have found nothing to indicate that it will actually do a low level format or at least overwrite the drive with 0's. What is to stop someone from removing the drive installing it on a standard SCSI card and running a restore utility?
We are closing and I'm looking
scott fuhrman_2
Occasional Advisor

If you have the arrays hooked up to a Unix host, you could use the dd command and just completely write over everything on the device, or write random data.

Something like 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=1024k' or 'dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdx bs=1024k' would work, adjusting it to your needs.

Read up on dd if you are not familiar with it. This would write over the device at the block level, and make any previous data written very hard to access. Doing it multiple times would make it extremely hard to recover any real data, but is probably unecessary.

If you need the dd utility for windows, a ported version is available. See http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#aboutdd for getting a copy of dd.exe. The syntax is a bit different for Windows devices, but it is very similar - just the paths would look different.

Hope this helps!

Scott
Lucian Deuter
Occasional Contributor

Drew,

the erase utility deletes the RAID configuration information at all places they are stored (NVRAM, RAID Controller and Disk). Without this data the disks can't be restored.

Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
at boot, most scsi controller have a bios that let you do a low level format.

This should accomplish your needs.

Massimo