New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP 12000 1024 Remote Copy

SOLVED
Go to solution
sirfire
Advisor

XP 12000 1024 Remote Copy

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask if CA for XP can remote copy a LUN from Site A to two separate sites at the same time?

Can anyone help me on this and is there a document on support solutions for this type of request?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Srifire,

This cannot be done with CA in either sync or async mode. The relationship between P-VOL (primary volume) and S-VOL (seconday volume) in CA must be one-to-one. So basically no 3 Data Centre approach with out of the box CA.

I know that HDS offer a solution on the USP range (HP call this the XP12K) that allows you to do this with a product called Universal Volume Replicator. It may be worth asking your HP rep if they offer the same product.

mackem
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
sirfire
Advisor

So what you are saying is that the XP12k will have this option available or is this a HDS product only?

It sounds like the product I would like to buy!
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Hi Sirfire,

Im currently not working on HP XP storage so dont have a channel in to HP to ask these type of questions. However, I will drop a line to few old colleagues who are working with HP XP storage.

I would also suggest that this is something you should fire at your HP sales rep or even your CE as Im sure HP would LOVE to sell you this solution.

mackem
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Sirfire,

May I also suggest you look at host-based replication/mirroing solutions? Specifically VxVM solutions should fit just nicely with storage arrays from HDS (aka the HP XP line). I specifically mention - VxVM mirroring and VVR (Veritas VOlume Replicator) - all host based solutions that nicely fit into HP-UX and your XP/HDS arrays.

Added plus: Should you decide to ditch the XP/HDS arrays inthe future, your 3-Data-Centre replication/mirroring solution will still work as what you will have will be Storage Array independent.

All the Veritas software solutions I mentioned IS already bundled/built-in to your HP-UX 11i OS. It only requires a license for activation and of course configuration.
Hakuna Matata.
sirfire
Advisor

I would like to thank you all for this help, I will be investigating Host Based replication and its impact on our HP-UX environment.

Best regards
Bruce