1752786 Members
6135 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XP 256 and EMC Symmetrics on V2500

Marissa Gloria-Ringor
Occasional Contributor

XP 256 and EMC Symmetrics on V2500

hello there! could you give me inputs on the implementation of this scenario, A v2500 (OS 11.0) currently connected on an XP256 and will be connected also to an EMC 8430 Symmetrics. Actually on our first trial, we installed the required patches, then the EMC software but upon Power Path installation, we encountered slow response on the system so we decided to reboot the system but unfortunately... it just hung up on boot up process. We did restore also the OS backup (IGNITE), but inconsistency on vg's encountered...
'will appreaciate very much your URGENT feedback. thanks a lot...
3 REPLIES 3
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Re: XP 256 and EMC Symmetrics on V2500

Try a vgscan -v.
After installation the device files will not necessarily be the same as before.
vgscan will recreate the lvmtab.
mv /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.old
vgscan

BUT
vgscan will correct vg pv allocation but not do correct traffic balancing and path selection. You're going to have to modify you lvmtab to something similar to what it was before.

If you have an ioscan of your system when it was good (have a look at the ignite iformation on your earlier backup) and try to find what device files have changed from looking at your new ioscan. Then the lvm reconfiguration is much easier.

Later
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Marissa Gloria-Ringor
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your reply... the system is up and running already except for the inconsistency on vg00 (root disk) and our local support is working on that now. My major concern now is the implementation of V25 with currently XP256 (which is on production already) and will be connected to EMC 8430. I've heard that a Power path software of EMC (we will install V 2.0) will do changes on the kernel and might as well on system configuration.
do you have any idea, reported problems on this type of set up?
Marissa Gloria-Ringor
Occasional Contributor

fyi... we successfully installed the Power Path on a V2500 server with an EMC and XP storage.
It is not advisable to kill a process on swinstall even if the system is only on the Install analysis, there will be the possibility on kernel corruption.