4010 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XP1024 can't use CVS facility

Rex Pommier
Frequent Advisor

XP1024 can't use CVS facility

Hi.

I just got a used XP1024 and am trying to configure some customized volume sizes. Unfortunately I can't because the CVS buttons are grayed out. I have tried using both the web console and directly from the SVP to do this and I can't get it to work. I have 146 GB drives in RAID-5 configurations with OPEN-L emulation on them. This configuration leaves me with 28 GB of free space on each of the raid groups. Going through the web console, I highlight either the free space or an unused LDEV and right-click on it. The mini-menu pops up with "volume to space" and the other options, but they are all grayed out.

I have basic LUN configuration and security management software licensed on the XP1024. Is there a license key I'm missing or is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Rex
3 REPLIES 3
Eric de Lange (MSE)
Valued Contributor

Re: XP1024 can't use CVS facility

Rex,

To configure CVS you will need the HP StorageWorks LUN Configuration and Security
Manager (Volume Manager) which you have installed.

The other prereq is that you have up to date SVP microcode:
Minimum = 21-13-02
Recommended = 21-14-02 or later

-Eric
Rex Pommier
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eric,

According to the SVP I have 23 TB of license for LUN configuration and security management software, and it says I have just over 21 TB of actual disk on the box.

As far as firmware on the SVP, I am actually at 21-14-17/00 which I think is the most current. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Rex
Rex Pommier
Frequent Advisor

Found the problem - buried in a Hitachi manual.
To quote from this manual,

├в Note: VLL functions are not applicable to OPEN-L volumes.├в

Just to verify this is the case (stupid as it is), I took one of the RAID groups, changed it to OPEN-E volumes, and lo and behold, I can build CVS volumes on the RAID group.

I probably will never figure out why Hitachi put this arbitrary rule in place, but unfortunately they did.

Later.

Rex