New Discussion юеВ

XP256 BC Config

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edgar_10
Frequent Advisor

XP256 BC Config

Hi,

Currently I have 2 servers co-located with a BC config set-up using XP256 storage array. Due to disaster recovery strategy the secondary server will be relocated to a different location.Questions:
1.What are the hardware requirements for such a BC set-up?
2.Will the secondary server be able to connect to the XP256 via Fiber Channel interface even if they are not co-located in same building.

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: XP256 BC Config

If I understand it correctly, the only thing You want to change is moving the second server to a different place. If this is the case, You need just the following:
up to 500m nothing, just longer cables
500m to some 6-7km (though support says up to 10km) - new switch, 2 longwave GBICs, longwave cables
more than 7km I would recommend to use VLWGBIC (very long wave GBIC, which enables You to go up to some 70-80km with straight fibre. You will need two of those, plus a good quality cable. You also need to get a special licence into both switches to rise the buffer-to-buffer credit for the ports the remote server will e connected through. As this is nothing easy, especially in the case of going kilometers away, I would suggest to go for HP support and let them design the server movement and make You an offer... Also an option is to go through leased DWDM channel, if available.
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb
Edgar_10
Frequent Advisor

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the info! Say do you know where I can get hold of XP Storage Array documentation(set-up;requirements etc.)?

Thanks!
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

Hello, I am sorry I cannot help You with this - XP is a highend enterprise and all (re)configuration must be done by HP TC. The documentation is not freely available on the net except what You can find at www.hp.com site... If You are moving just the server to another site, there should be no problem and no recofiguration. Only if You exceed those 6-7-8 km in length of the fibre, some reconfig may be necessary in order to allow for SCSI timeouts, which You could get. I strongly advise You again to contact HP in such a case, I know the price will be high, but consider the price of the data that are living in the array... BR, Vladimir
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

You should not have to reconfigure the array to do what you want to do.

How far away do you want to place the server?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

BC functions only happen on the XP array. For BC, distance is not a concern as it all happens in the array. Your question is how far away the server can be from the array and still connect to it.
For your disaster recovery strategy just moving the secondary server does not buy you that much. If you are worried about the primary server getting damaged (fire, flood, disgruntled employee...) you have the same risk that the XP can be damaged. Then you have a secondary server at a remote site without the disks as both your primary and business copy of the data are on the same array.
To truly have the redundnacy of a disaster recovery site you need a second XP array. Then your two arrays would keep the data in sync using Continuous Access.