1752282 Members
4997 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP256 SNMP

Steve Bonds
Trusted Contributor

XP256 SNMP

How can I get configuration data from the XP256 disk array via SNMP? Apparently it needs to be installed on the Remote Control XP workstation as a "LUN Configuration 4" license, but so far nobody from HP has been able to tell what product this comes from.

Can anyone confirm that "LUN Configuration 4" is the correct license and let me know what HP product this is?
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

You should have a copy of CommandView already. If not, get it (it's free), and install it. You should also have LUN Configuration Manager (P/N B9336A for a 1 TB LTU). LUN Config Mgr allows you to make changes on the frame... it also enables the SNMP interface for changing LUNS on the ports.

The SNMP itself is there - CommandView uses SNMP to talk to the frame, even without the LUN COnfig Mgr. But the LUN Config Mgr is the license key you're looking for.

If you have LUN Config Mgr already, I hope you didn't lose your license key diskette. They're hard to replace.

Good luck
No matter where you go, there you are.
Steve Bonds
Trusted Contributor

I have LUN Configuration manager. The problem is there are four different independent keys. According to HP support they correspond to:

LUN Configuration Manager 1: LUN Config
LUN Configuration Manager 2: LUSE
LUN Configuration Manager 3: CVS
LUN Configuration Manager 4: SNMP

I have keys for the first three, but alas the fourth is missing. Tracking down the HP product that corresponds to LUN Configuration Manager 4 has proven to be surprisingly difficult, even with help from HP.

And I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to replace the diskettes...
Steve Bonds
Trusted Contributor

It doesn't appear that Command View XP is a free product. It's listed in the HP storage products Instant Reference Guide as HP part B9357A, and couldn't be found on http://software.hp.com.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

You got me there...

You're right - CommandView is not free; it's just such a standard item that I forgot that it's $24,000 (list). (I just looked it up)

There is no LTU pricing, however. The $24k is good for as many as 16 XPs, of any capacity.

Of course, users using SNMP directly to access the XP is not supported - only CommandView is allowed to make SNMP calls and be supported. CommandView is designed to forward SNMP Traps from the XP to a management platform (such as OpenView) as well. Since the frame should be on a private management LAN (The Xp512 can be on a public LAN as well, but the 256 is limited to just the private LAN), CommandView will forward any Traps that occur on a 256. It's configurable directly from CV.

Most of the MIBs are private anyway. Without the MIBs, you're pretty limited in what you can do with SNMP.
Steve Bonds
Trusted Contributor

Now if only I had a few thousand dollars lying around...

I actually have the MIB for the XP256, I just have nothing to query.

With luck someone on this thread knows how I can order that elusive "Remote LUN Configuration 4" key.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

I would bet the only way to get it is to order CommandView.