3981 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP256 and greater than 8 LUNS on WIN2000

Ryan_11
Advisor

XP256 and greater than 8 LUNS on WIN2000

Hi,

I have a XP256 connected to a N-class server.
I am trying to add two W2K hosts but I can't see more than 8 LUN's. We don't go through any switches, so it is direct attach to a specific port on the XP. Windows finds a new device for the XP256 but I can't find the driver anywhere?
Does a driver exist?

We are using HP FC host adaptors part # D8602B in the W2K servers.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Ryan Odgers
4 REPLIES 4
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

I do not know for XP but similar situation exist for VA, perhaps it is relevant for XP too. Windows (NT and WIN2K) must have access to LUN0 in order to be able to scan for more than 8 LUNS on VA. Recommended configuration of LUNs for VA and Windows (or mixed host enviroment) is to have LUN0 (10MB) which is unprotected (if you use Security Manager do not protect this LUN). This LUN shoud not be used by any host (do not install file system on it) After finding LUN0 windows will scan for more than 8 LUNs. As far as I know LUN0 is important for HP UX too. Without having access to LUN0 HP UX will not scan for other LUNs too. If you already use LUN0 for HP UX hosts try to move your file system to another LUN, delete file system on it and leave it unprotected.

Ryan_11
Advisor

Thanks Enes,

I do have a LUN0 assigned for this host, but I still don't see more than 8 Luns.
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

Maybe your problem is Windows related. Win2K should support more than 8 LUNs per SCSI bus per default (for NT 4.0 you should enable this in registry). If have you installed win2k upgrading nt40 it may be that you have to enable more than 8 LUNs support too. You may read Microsoft knowledgebase articles related to this problem. God starting point is http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q286/0/50.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=8%20lun&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000
Ryan_11
Advisor

I have found the answer. There is a driver for Win 2000 for the XP series(48/256/512). The attached file includes the drivers for the HP Fibre channel card D8602B (Agilent chip) as well as the XP drivers. The doc hpssxp.doc explains the procedure.
NB! Make sure you extract the files with their folder info otherwise Windows doesn't recognize the XP drivers.

I can now see more than 8 LUNS

Ryan Odgers

Ryan