1753599 Members
6487 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP512, Red Hat Linux & QLogic

Joseph Vrankovic
Occasional Advisor

XP512, Red Hat Linux & QLogic

It seems the QLogic QLA2200F FC-HBA is not supported under Red Hat Linux for the XP512. Does anyone know why? Or please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I bet it would work regardless.

THX, J
12 REPLIES 12
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

Have a look at the following manual:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manual_set/lpg28612.pdf

On page 68, you will note the interface and mode settings.

HTH,

Dave
Joseph Vrankovic
Occasional Advisor

Any idea why it isn't supported? It's a pretty standard adapter now adays.
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

See page 11 of the same document. It mentions not being able to configure LUSE devices on the QLA2200F interface. I'll see if I can find a more definitive answer.

Dave
Joseph Vrankovic
Occasional Advisor

It's says that caution is only for the QLA2100 and not the 2200. I didn't think that those cards were the same. Arn't they different cards all together?
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

It would appear that the QLA2200F and the QLA2100F are supported on Red Hat Linux Version 6.0/6.1. However, the only shown supported card on Red Hat Linux version 6.2/7.1 is the Emulex LP8000, LP9000, LP9002, and LP952L. These cards support Private Loop and Direct Fabric Attach but do not support Fabric Loop. The Qlogic cards ONLY support Private Loop. I think that is probably the reason you see the change in support. Further, the change is for the ability to support the software suite. These HBA's also added boot support as well as N-Port fabric capability not supported by the QL2200F.

So, I'm sure you could get the QL2200F to work in Private Loop, however, you would lose the ability to run a large portion of the software suite and limit your capability in configuration. I guess if you're spending that kind of money on an XP512, I'd spend the few extra dollars on the correct/supported interface.

HTH,

Dave
Joseph Vrankovic
Occasional Advisor

I'm sorry, but I believe you are incorrect. The QLA2200F is a fully fabric aware adapter. Please visit http://www.qlogic.com/products/fc_san_hostadapers.asp

So back to my original question. Why not the QLA2200F HBA on Red Hat?
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

Have you seen the driver link from Qlogic for Linux?

http://www.qlogic.com/support/os_detail.asp?seriesid=57&osid=26

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

I'm aware that the QLA2200F is a fabric aware card. You asked about the support on the XP512 and Red Hat Linux. I'm simply stating what HP's support documents state. On the XP512 side, what I provided to you is accurate. I can't give you a reason why the support is the way it is there must have been a reason fabric login to the XP512 is not supported on the QLA2200F. So, the QLA2200F will indeed work on Red Hat Linux versions 6.0/6.1. Although not mentioned in the support document, I'm sure they'll also work in the versions above 6.0/6.1, however, fabric login is not supported. I'm sure there is some reason that HA and Fabric Login is not supported but that reason is not disclosed in the document. So dependent upon what version of Linux were referring to, you are both correct and incorrect. As to whether it would work, it may, that's what development boxes are for right?

Dave
Joseph Vrankovic
Occasional Advisor

All I really wanted to know was why the card is not supported in the desired config (point-to-point). Development boxes have little bearing in a mission critical environment; even if the testing works. If, at the end of the day, HP does not support this HBA in the desired configuration, then I can't use it because it goes unsupported. And what if I do and call for support then? Then it's back to square one, the RTFM treatment.

We have been using 4 XP512's for over a year now and the QLA2200F card has been working flawlessly, point-to-point, in our W2K and Solaris environments and also supported by HP. Why not later versions of Red Hat? I can't let a reason such as, "that reason is not disclosed in the document", stop a vital project from coming online. If I do, I better have a reasonable excuse. I want to avoid turning this into a political issue between management at RIM and our HP account reps. A technical solution is much more feasible and to say the least, much more appealing. Ordering different FC-HBA's has it's own headaches because then we would have to alter the server and cluster architecture and re-certify that instead.