108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XP512 disk arrays

SOLVED
Go to solution
M. Bigaignon

XP512 disk arrays

Hello,

I have a XP512 disk array which was attached to a SAN. This array has been replaced and I would like to SECURELY delete all the data on the different LUNS which were attached to different servers (those servers are now switched off). What would be the best and simplest way to delete all the data. Can the SVP be used in some way?
12 REPLIES 12
sivam
Advisor

Re: XP512 disk arrays

Hi Bigaignon,

Its better to do by procedure.

1. Remove the zoning in the Switches.
2. Delete the Hostgroup.
3. Delete/Release the LUN/LUSE volume.

You too can use SVP.

Sivam
M. Bigaignon

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have already done steps you mention. However, I was worried about the data still on the LDEV's of 7GB as the luns could be rebuilt by a clever hacker. Is there a way of making sure there's no data on the LDEV's

Thanks,

Marc
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you really want to delete all data you should initialize all raid groups at least once, better 2 times (once RAID5 then Raid1.

If you want to be even safer you have to remove all drives and drill a hole through all of them! This does not work of course if you want to trade in the XP512 :-)

Cheers
XP-Pete
I love storage
krusty
Honored Contributor

I've got one more idea which falls between Peter's suggestions of formatting or drilling a holes in the platters... ;)

HP does offer a "Data Sanitization Service" which does an excellent job of data scrubbing. But as all good things, it aint' free:

http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/66370-0-0-225-121.aspx?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Cheers,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
M. Bigaignon

Thanks to Peter and Curt for their replies. I've got some ideas to play with now.

Marc
hyun-seok kim
Frequent Advisor

I think
Ldev block -> format is Best Way

UNIX for all
krusty
Honored Contributor

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to comment on hyun-seok kim's response.

Formatting of an array group (AG) does a cursory format of the disks in that AG. Theoretically with the right tools data could be recovered from a format (assuming you can get ahold of all 4 disks in the AG). Pete's idea takes it one step further by formatting the AG twice, once R1 and the other R5. The only way to completely scramble the data is by using a data scrubbing utility that uses many passes of writing all ones, then all zeros, then certain patterns, such as HP's Data Sanitization solution. But with SOX and all the data privacy issues that have arisen in recent years, I would think twice about just a single past format...

Just as a disclosure I am an HP employee, and I'm not just trying to sell you this service. I am trying to tell you that a format isn't necessarily the "best way" to erase your data.

My $.02,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
sivam
Advisor

Try these options as well.

Deleting Datas in XP512 can be done by reconfiguring the RAID Levels & replace the disks physically to different locations in the array. Reconfigure the LUN SIZE from the standard what you follow.(Ex. 8MB to14.3MB - Emulex Type.)
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

This may not be the best way, but we did a dd. This is what we felt most comfortable with, but it takes some time to run this.

We went by a particular KB doc ID KBRC00010654.
The syntax they use is as follows;

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/cXtXdX