New Discussion юеВ

Zoning of CV EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Zoning of CV EVA

Hello,

This should be an easy question for you but not for me...

We are in the process of implementing zoning on an already-live 2C3D EVA4000 connected to 6 bl20p G4 servers. My only concern is zoning of the CV EVA server. Shall I zone all servers (CV EVA + 6 blade servers) together with both EVA controllers in 1 zone or shall I split them up in more zones? I dunno whether CV EVA requires to see the hosts WWN or whether the EVA requires to see them for LUN presentation to take place? All servers are running Win2003, so no zoning for different OSs are required.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
5 REPLIES 5
gstonian
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Zoning of CV EVA

If you are just looking to zone the Command View Server to the EVA (To present disk? ) then just set up that zone.

You don't need the Command View server zoned into the Client/EVA zones in order for the disk to be presented.

The hosts added into Command View via their wwn and Disk Presented this way but you only need a zone from the EVA to the specific hosts and do not need to include the CV EVA Server into the equation.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Vince,

I would create a Management zone consisting of just the EVA's ports and the server running CV EVA. CV EVA only needs to see the ports of the EVA, not the other hosts.

As you say, as all operating systems are Windows you don't strictly need the zoning, however I prefer to do it to give you some future proofing just in case you ever want to add a different OS.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

So what you're saying is to put 1 zone for both controllers and CV EVA HBAs and another zone for the 6 servers + EVa controllers? Or should I do a zone per blade?

Kind Regards,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I would probably create a separate zone for each blade.

So:

Managment Zone = CV EVA HBAs + EVA ports
Blade 1 Zone = Blade 1 HBAs + EVA ports
Blade 6 Zone = Blade 6 HBAs + EVA ports

Again this isn't technically necessary with one OS, however I find it easier to see where things are later on, particularly if you start adding lots more things to the fabric.

I'm also assuming you're not running any clustering on the blades which would require them to see another's LUNs.

Regards,

Rob
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Thanks, my problem is solved.
Tape Drives RULE!!!