cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a DS2405

Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

adding a DS2405

We have VA7400 and a DS205 . Now we want to add another disk enclosure - DS2405 .I have already changed the speed on the controller to 1 gig . Iam little bit confused on the cable connectivity with VA . Also should i connect all the 15 drives together or do it one by one . Any guidence with your experience . I already have a document but would like to hear from you guys.
3 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: adding a DS2405

Your second DS2405 should be connected to the controllers on your first DS2405, which is connected to the controllers on your VA.

You are basically just daisy-chaining the DS2405s together.

I am not sure what you mean about connecting all 15 drives together. There should not be a problem connecting the new DS2405 with the drives already plugged in.
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

make sure your controller firmware is up to date and the array shows no warning states.

Also check existing disk firmware and upgrade before you attach an enclosure with additional disks (with possibly different fw).

The cabling is shown in the user guide. You need to set the ID on the new DS2405. You should set it to (id_of_1st_DS + 1).

I would recommend to pull all the disks except one. If you see the enclosure and see the single disk is being formatted. Check that the formating finishes (depending on size maybe an hour or so). If that is successful. Add the additional drives.

Regards,
Bernhard
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

thanks for the information . I was successfully able to add an DS2405 enclosuer to our va7400 .