1748140 Members
4145 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: adding disk shelf to EVA 4400 online

daniel pangallo
Advisor

adding disk shelf to EVA 4400 online

Can you install a disk enclosure on the EVA 4400 online? if so what are the steps?

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, yes it is online without the IO interruption. The steps should be the following (derived from the EVA 4000/6000/8000):
1. remove the drives, power supplies, blowers, EMU and IO modules to reduce the enclosure├В┬┤s weight (from 30 to 11 kg) during the manipulation with it
2. if its necessary to add an ID expansion cable to the cabinet address bus to accomodate the new disk enclosure, install the cable as follows:
- remove the top terminator from the cabinet address bus
- connect the new ID expansiona cable to the address buss
- install the top terminator at the end of the new expansion cable
3. label the FC cables
4. install the drive enclosures into the rack.
5. insert and seat all the drives (as well as other components) into the drive enclosure, but dont connect the cables
6. connect the AC power
7. wait for all FC disks to spin up
8. FC loops check
9. connect the new enclosure to the i/o loop 1A/1B and verify if they are working correctly
10. connect the enclosure to the enclosure address bus

the pain is one part of the reality
daniel pangallo
Advisor

Thanks for the reply, however, the EVA 4400 is a different beast than the 4000,6000,8000
4100, The 4400 is the new gen of EVA's that support the new disk enclosures and such!

I would assume an online disk enclosure addon would be similar to the earlier EVA's
in that you would add one i/o module connection to the controllers at a time. It does not look like the 4400 uses the backend switches instead there are 4 i/o ports in each controller....anyone have experience on this???

V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Hi, I think you should follow the M6412 drive enclosure installation instructions:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01419085/c01419085.pdf

In page 4 you have an illustration of the cabling.
Also, check: "Cabling the enclosure while online" on page 5
daniel pangallo
Advisor

this is just what I was looking for! thanks for the feedback!