New Discussion юеВ

Re: boot activation of volumegroups on EVA/HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marcel Hoek
Occasional Advisor

boot activation of volumegroups on EVA/HP-UX

Hi,

I'm implementing an HP-UX environment with disks on an EVA5000. The system has internal bootdisks and uses SecurePath 3.0B SP1 to access devices on the EVA.

My question is, why doesn't HP-UX activate the volumegroups on the EVA during boot. It seems like the kernel module (swsp) is loaded too late and that causes the volumegroups to be disabled.

Any ideas? Do I need to make changes in my rc scripts, or is there some other trick?
11 REPLIES 11
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

My understanding is that hpux activates volume groups that appear in /etc/fstab so you might need to check that /etc/fstab looks right.

Also, have a look in /etc/rc.log where you should see any errors that are produced when the system attempts to activate volume groups.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Solution

See my post here...

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=274147

You are right, it doesn't do it right, whcih is stunning considering it is actually a HP product - there is an official patch - talk to HP.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Marcel Hoek
Occasional Advisor

The problem is indeed that the swsp doesn't activate the luns until after lvmrc is called.

The thing I don't understand is that in the boot log it says (before vg00 is activated) that the kernel module (swsp) has enabled the lun's in the EVA. Strange...

I have a call open and indeed the thing can be "fixed" (if you call this fixing) by adding a new rc script that does the vgchange and mountall after the spinit script is ran.

But the thing is when you try to restore your system with ignite you have a problem. It doesn't see the physical disks and doesn't recover your volumegroups.

I've been testing it and you can work around it, by doing the vgcfgrestore after the ignite recovery. Still, not really a solution, but only a workaround.

I will keep the call open until there is a better solution. The official solution is to upgrade to Securepath 3.0C. My problem is that we still have some machines running HPUX 11.00, so that's not an option for those machines....

Thanks for the help (and suggestions to contact support)
Tom Bear
Advisor

I too encountered the problem with the ignite recovery failing on systems with an EVA attached. I am seeking a workaround right now, and also opening a call with HP.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Duncan:

The EVA was a Pre-merger COMPAQ product that was developed for VMS/TRU64 Alphaservers. The EVA was shipping to Compaq customers pre-merger.

The development path looks something like this: HSJ ==> HSZ ==> HSG ==> HSV(EVA)

HSJ and HSZ where SCSI controllers. HSG and HSV are the Fibre channel controllers.

Just be happy that you can boot from the SAN using the EVA. Our AIX systems can't boot from a HSG or EVA SAN because the Securepath drivers do not support it. This fact may drive us to use EVA for VMS and W2K, and something else for the AIX systems in the future.
VMS SAN mechanic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Mike,

the HSJ has a CI (Computer Interconnect) interface.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10503_div/10503_div.HTML

I beleive the HSD (D = DSSI interface, Digital Storage Systems Interconnect, if I recall correctly) slightly predates the HSJ. And everything started with the HSC (Hierarchical Storage Controller, that introduced the CI).
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info Uwe. I jumped from Microvax 3100's with internal storage directly to Alphaservers and HSG80's when I changed jobs the last time. So I was going on info from co-workers that pre-dated my time.

Either way, the EVA came from the Compaq side of the house.
VMS SAN mechanic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

From MicroVAX 3100 to AlphaServers? Wow, that was an upgrade! I hope your salary was upgraded accordingly ;-)

Mike,

I know the EVA is an ex Compaq/Digital product - my point is that the merger was nearly 2 years ago now - long enough to fix something like this you might think. Here's a direct quote from the original day 1 post merger roadmap:

"In the mid-range, we will offer the StorageWorks EVA architecture, but we will continue to offer HP VA solutions for HP-UX centric environments and StorageWorks EMA modular arrays for heterogeneous environments -- until our EVA architecture-based products fulfill our customer requirements, expected to be the middle of 2003."

Don't get me wrong I think the EVA is a great product - but this kind of niggle just doesn't go down well with HPUX admins...

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo