New Discussion юеВ

compaq proliant dl380 and smart array 5i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mantas K
Occasional Advisor

compaq proliant dl380 and smart array 5i

Hi,
we have a compaq server with 6 18Gb disks. The raid menu says that it is Raid 1 (how can it be raid 1 with 6 disks ?) and the volume size is 54.6GB.
One of the disk (ID 0) failed.
The problem is we dont have another 18GB disk and they are no longer sold, so we've got a 36GB instead.
The question is, will the array accept this 36GB disk, esspecialy if it's ID 0 ?
Could there be any problems with disk inserting, like system freezing or (worst case) data corruption ?
3 REPLIES 3
S.Arunkumar
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: compaq proliant dl380 and smart array 5i

Hi Mantas

1.It is not RAID 0 it should be RAID 0+1.(striping and mirroring)
2.Yes this Array supports this functionality.If any doubt go thro the upgrade manual for the smart array 5i.
3.There will not be a chance of data failure if proper disk replacement procedure is followed the same is available in the manual.

For reference
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00142272/c00142
272.pdf

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/index.html

Regards
S.Arunkumar
C. Beerse_1
Regular Advisor

- It can be raid 1 (or 0+1 in this case) with any even number of disks. Its just hard to see which disk is a mirror to which other disk.

- Roughly everywhere is noted that you can use larger disks for replacement. The warning on those places is that the additional space is not activated by any means.

- ID0 trough ID5 are of the same importance, there is no special usage of ID0. The mirror information is on all disks and in the raid.

- Sure, problems can arize so be carefull. Be noted, the swappability of the disks is only about 30 times due to connector wear and such.
make everything as simple as possible, not simpler (A.Einstein??)
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Mantas

1. Since you have 6 disks,it should be RAID 0+1 , disks with striping and mirroring in your environment.

2. 18Gb faulty disk can be replaced by 36Gb. Replaced disk will not utilise full capacity. Make sure the speed of 36Gb HDD is same as that of failed 18Gb HDD

3. There will not be issues like system freeze or data corruption

Regards
Mahesh