Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create volumes with xp48 with twelve 73GB drives

Jimmy N
Occasional Contributor

create volumes with xp48 with twelve 73GB drives

hello,

I'm a newbie with these big drives. We are getting an xp48 with 12 73GB drives. Are there any white papers or information out here as to how to best split these up?

thanks

Jimmy
3 REPLIES
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Re: create volumes with xp48 with twelve 73GB drives

HP will format them for you. When the drives are installed they are formatted with an emulation type. For example my drives are Open-8 emulation which gives me a quantity of 29 logical devices, each one about 7GB in size when using Raid-5. There are other emulations, Open-3, Open-9 and maybe more. At the time we chose Open-8 it gave us the most usable space.
They are installed in a Marketing Group of 4 disks. You will get 3 groups out of your 12 disks. You decide if you want Raid-1 or Raid-5. I suggest Raid-5 as you will get more usable space. It would give you 57 LUN's, or "disks" to use on your host(s).
Kim Israels
Occasional Visitor

If you choose the open-E emulation you will have the highest effic. 3 arraygroups will give you (raid 5) 3 * 15 Ldevs * 14.579GB = 656 GB.
For raid 1, 3 * 11 Ldevs * 14.579GB = 437.37 GB

The performance diffrence between raid1 and raid5 is so small, that most users choose raid5
Mark van Silfhout
Trusted Contributor

Also for Windows 2000 Open-L and Open-M are available:
OPEN-L : 36.4GB capacity
OPEN-M : 47.1GB capacity

(from firmware 01.11.59 and higher).