3967 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

difference between ABM and Command View

Mouis Yafeh xhp
Occasional Contributor

difference between ABM and Command View

Hi,

Has anyone seen a good detailed document regarding differences between ABM (Array Based Management) and Command View?

Also, from the documentation, i see that on-line disk firmware upgrade is not available with ABM. So i am assuming that it is doable when disks are off line (or the whole EVA disks are off line). However, i fail to find a document addressing this issue. Can you guide me to a doc?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
DogBytes
Valued Contributor

Re: difference between ABM and Command View

Hi,

I think technically both are Command View:
Command View ABM (array-based management)
Command View SBM (server-based management).

I haven't seen any documention with the differences but you might look at the Command View user guides and do a search on
"server-based management only". The CV EVA 9.0 manual produces a couple more results than the 9.1 manual.

I've always used SBM (server based management) myself because it's been around longer and most places I've worked at use DR (Continuous Access).

Perhaps someone else has more info.

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Re: difference between ABM and Command View

Hi,
As stated by the previous noter, really there is not a difference apart from:
ABM runs on the management module of an EVA4400 ONLY.
SBM is an external windows server on the fabric.
BOTH run CV and there is no difference apart from a few things. You have mentioned one, not able to do disk fw upgrades but you can not manage any other EVA or do CA operations either. These are probably the main "issues" if you like.
In all other respects they are 99% the same as far as I am aware.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...