Re: disc array VA7100

Post what and how you format array.

Regards LiPEnS
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

I connected serial console to COM port (back view of VA) and runned
>armfmt
It displayed this message when I executed armfmt.

Format array: clear all data (yes/no)

Formatting subsystem

Not enough disks

I must note that

armfmt -h -i
Did not work
Knowledge is power.
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

Can you post the output of the serial port here?

dsp -c -d -e -f -s

please?

Kind regards,
Arend
Srinivasa_6
Advisor

Okay, so... till now, you've tried a format command from the VFP and after it completed, the array went into a "Not enough disks" state. The minimum number of disks needed before you do a format of the array, is 4 disks. Now, you can insert a disk and then again execute the format command from the VFP. The array must come back to a ready state after that.

Regards,
Srinivasa S
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

Hello again.

Just starting my shift, so sorry for the delay,

outputs for this command (dsp -c -d -e -f -s) are pretty long and since i dont have a network connection it would take pretty long to get them to you.

what is it you want to know, maybe I can summerize for you?.

The thing is i dont have that extra disk, can this be bypassed?, can the array only work with 3 disks, I need this array for a small project I just want it to work, its not important if it does not work to its full capacity.

Knowledge is power.
Srinivasa_6
Advisor

AFAIK, the array HAS to have 4 disks in order to operate. Its something to do with the way the VA does RAID striping for RAID0+1 and RAID6. And this cannot be changed. You have to find another disk if you want to get the array up. Once you find a disk, a simple format command from the VFP should get it to ready state (Assuming everything else, like the batteries, etc are fine).
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

thanks guys.
sorry for the big delay. but i just found another disk and the array i working fine.

thankyou to everybody
Knowledge is power.