1748092 Members
5667 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disk enclosure problem on EVA4400?

iulianv
Advisor

i know, just that the ethernet port of the management module is not connected anywhere right now, so i'll have to get to work first to wire it, in order to make it's IP address available for access...
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
and did the "problematic" disk spoil also the other enclosure pls?
the pain is one part of the reality
iulianv
Advisor

i don't know yet - as i said, i'll try all these on Monday, when i get to work, right now i'm enjoying the week-end at home ;)
iulianv
Advisor

ok, these is the current status and the events that led to it:

i went to the datacenter and plugged the "disappearing" hard drive into another disk enclosure (i didn't add it to a group though) - nothing happened; i plugged another spare hard drive into the problematic enclosure - again, everything ok (at least judging by the LEDs, as i don't have easy access to CV-EVA there)

i connected the laptop to the management port of the controller enclosure, logged into WOCP, and performed "unbypass all" to both controllers - again, no change in LED configuration (still orange LEDs on for 10 out of 12 hard drives in the problematic enclosure)

i then disabled automatic loop recovery, and found out that i cannot enable it again - it says "operation successful", but when checking again, it's still disabled - this _really_ annoyed me

i came back to the office, logged into CV-EVA, and found everything green (?!)

now, i'm too lazy to go back downstairs and see if the hard drive LEDs are still as orange as i left them; apart from that, i'm still confused about automatic loop recovery not coming back again, as well as about whether the "disappearing hard drive" is indeed faulty or not...

a pretty frustrating experience alltoghether :)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
can you review the controller to see what is going on in your EVA 4400 controllers?
the pain is one part of the reality
iulianv
Advisor

what is going on is that, although everything's green in CV-EVA (i even have log messages saying that FC devices previously known with only one port have been fixed, and redundancy restored), the orange LEDs on the hard drives are still on. nice...
Richard Choi (Ultima)
Occasional Visitor

I have a similar problem, error suggestions something wrong with the Fibre loop switch, with FATA disks missing and multiple FATA disks are getting hardware failure. Would be interested to learn what is the underlying problem
iulianv
Advisor

well, it happened again for me - this time another FATA disk failed in a different enclosure, and all hard-drives in that enclosure lost one loop and got the amber LED lit

i performed an "unbypass all" from WOCP, and their status "turned green" in CV-EVA, but the amber LEDs are still on - the first time it happened they turned green when i upgraded the hard-drives' firmware - now how do i turn them off?

i replaced the faulty FATA disk with the one that seemed faulty last time - that one looked OK while ungroupped, so i hesitated replacing it, this one keeps reporting check condition errors every minute, and i'll definitely replace it

by the way, what check condition error rate could be considered "normal" for FATA disks?
CSA Support

Check the EVA 4400 firmware if you are running 900000 this firmware had issues with the 1TB fata drives, update to latest firmware 09004000 could help you will also need CV 8.02 update before installing this firmware revision.

THere is also a firmware release for the WOCP coming soon that resolves a comms issue beetween WOCP and Controllers.

iulianv
Advisor

i was running 09001000 when the problems occured - now i've upgraded (by HP recommendation) to 09003000 (with CV-EVA 8.0.1)

i'll see what happens... :)