1745790 Members
4196 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: drive detects imminent failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

drive detects imminent failure

I have a Compaq 5500 with a Smart-2DH array controller, firmware revision 4.10. The drives are DGHS094 with firmware revision 03F1. There are 3 9.1 gig drives in the array. Every time I boot the server I receive the error message "Post error message : C8H 1720 S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive detects imminent failure". Then after bootup all drive activity lights come on and remain on. There is no flicker, they are simply pegged. Occasionally they will turn off for a couple seconds, but they will then all light up again and remain on. They are lit probably 95% of the time even when no one is accessing the server. Individual drives have been replaced 3 times over the last year, but the error never goes away.

Does this point to a faulty array controller?
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: drive detects imminent failure

Upgrade your Smart 2/DH controller from firmware 4.10 to firmware 4.44, which can be obtained from website www.compaq.com/support/files/allsp.html - sp12985.exe. Also, the hard drive that is detecting the imminent failure needs to be replaced. If the drive is not identified, run the ADU from smartstart path CPQADU/SETUP.EXE or from you F10 System Partition Utility>Array Diagnostic Utility. Run report and view to identify the hard drive that has Exceeded the Threshold.