5622 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

education needed

steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

education needed

Hi Guys

I see there are a few kicking around so this is probably the best time to ask this type of question

I have a server to decomission that currently has 6 sc10 disk units connected to an fc60 controller.

In total there are 60 disks. Before I disconnect them all I need to get a little educated.

At the moment I can only see 24 including 2 universal Xport

I have checked power is on all the disks and each tray is set to its own unique id 0-5 inclusive

Why can't I see all the disks in the array ?

Should an ioscan not detect all the disks ?

Any pointers in what to look for would be great

Thanks in advance

Steve

take your time and think things through
3 REPLIES 3
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Re: education needed

Hi

When setting up the devices are they set at the controller level and zoned similar to SAN storage so that the host can only see assigned disks ?

Steve
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Well

I'm confused. This server has 2 fibre connections to the fc60. I went through disconnecting the sc10 units checking to see which devices became NO_HW after getting the server to rescan the hardware. I got no change what so ever. After disconnecting all the paths to the disks from the controller the server still thought it could see all the disks, only until I went into a dirctory did the server hang.

With all the paths disconnected I rebooted the server. Upon return I could see most of the hardware NO_HW , the server however still thought it had some of the disks!!! (CLAIMED) (confusing)

I disconnected the fibre cables out of the back of the server, ioscan -fnC disk , the server lost all disk (NO_HW)

Why isn't there any consistency with regards to what the server can and can't see during periods of testing ?

Steve
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
did oyu do any access to the disk when you pull them off ?

If there is no data going throught the channel, ioscan won't recognize the failed (NO_HW) disks.

I think this can be the explanation to the no_hw disks..

For the number of luns:
i don't remember exactly, but the sc10 might support lun aggregation, so you have 24 lun striped across 60 disks.

How are they connected ? to a fiber switch ? in this case zoning may be the answer.

HTH,
Massimo