108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

eva3000 commandview question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

eva3000 commandview question

This may belong under storage...anyway...

Currently we have a SAN appliance manager that we're running commandview on (along with ISEE, etc) for our EVA3000. At the time of purchase this appliance was a mandatory purchase and we had to run commandview on this appliance (or so we were told).

Given that there is a version of EVA commandview for hpux 11.11 available for download today, can we run the commandview on one of the fibre attached hpux 11.11 servers that use the EVA, instead of or in addition to running commandview on the SAN appliance manager?

Has anyone done this with an EVA3000? Are there any additional physical connections between the hpux server and the EVA that would be necessary? What about licensing implications?

Really would like to get everything off of the windows server so that we can upgrade it and install the new remote support while still having commandview access to the array.

thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: eva3000 commandview question

There is AFAIK no version of command view EVA other than for windows, except an array based version for current generations (e.g. EVA4400).

With a combination of current firmware and CV you can also use "normal" windows version instead of special appliance, but there is no version for hp-ux, linux, ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

Torsten thanks...I think I was looking at a product called evainfo that I thought was the commandview download.

so, assuming that I can't run commandview for eva on hpux, can I run it on another windows machine in addition to the san appliance? I.e. leave the current version out there on the san appliance, but run a "backup copy" of commandview on a pc that meets the requirements?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>>so, assuming that I can't run commandview for eva on hpux, <<<

Yes, You are Right.

can I run it on another windows machine in addition to the san appliance? I.e. leave the current version out there on the san appliance, but run a "backup copy" of commandview on a pc that meets the requirements?

Yes , You can Install commandview on a pc "with" latest Java version on the PC
Should be working fine ..:)

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello Charles,

you can have several instances of CV EVA on Windows boxes surrounding your EVA, but only one of those instances can manage the array at a time. However, it is simple to switch between them.

And evainfo is a HPUX utility that queries the array for LUNs visible to that particular host it is run on.

Jozef
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

ok - forgive me for not remembering this (and I'm not physically near the dc to check), but what type of physical connection would I need between the "backup" pc running windows and CV and the eva3000? I think they are both plugged into the fibre switch, but I can't recall.

V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Any server with Command View needs to have a fiber channel connection to both EVA controllers.
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello Charles,

the server running your "backup" CV instance should be a HP supported one, usually a ProLiant class, equipped with a fibre connectivity. It works on the same principle as your current Storage Management Appliance.

You can check the requirements in the document I have attached.

Jozef
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

Thanks all!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Commandview needs fiber channel connection to the array.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!