New Discussion юеВ

eva6000 management server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arnulf Gercke
Frequent Advisor

eva6000 management server

Hello,

customer has ordered an EVA6000. The EVA was shipped with a Proliant DL380 Storage Server. But we haven't found out, how to administrate from this storage server.

We did a workaround: There was an existing EVA with an original Storage Management Appliance (SMA). We made a SAN connection and updated the SMA with CommandView EVA 4.0. Then we were able to configure the EVA6000 from the SMA.

Has anyone a step by step description, how to configure the Proliant Storage Server for EVA6000 Administration?
15 REPLIES 15
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: eva6000 management server

The so-called 'Storage Server' is just a cheap NAS box; it cannot manage the EVA on its own as you have found out ;-)

You just need to install the necessary fibre channel drivers and CV-EVA on the NAS box to be able to manage the EVA.

Don't forget to upgrade the adapter's port driver on the SMA if you haven't done already:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/softwaredrivers/managementappliance/emulexportdriver.html
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is not an initial installation/configuration by HP included in the EVA6000 (as for EVA3000/5000). I assume that configuration of the management server is a part of that.
Arnulf Gercke
Frequent Advisor

Uwe,

do we need to install storage management appliance software v2.1?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Armulf:

On a stand alone server, you only need Command View EVA 4.x.

You do not need SMA 2.1. The 2.1 software is only for your SAN Management Appliance. If you plan on keeping the SMA, and your not at 2.1, then I would probably upgrade it. Otherwise, your new Storage Server, with Command View EVA 4.x should be enough.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Arnulf Gercke
Frequent Advisor

OK.

Do we need to install special HSV200 Drivers?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

All you should need is the latest driver package. If you have qlogic cards, then I believe the latest SCSIport driver is 9.0.2.11.

For Emulex cards, 5-5.20a9 is the latest.

One of these driver packages should be all you need as they have all the necessary inf files for Storageworks Fibre Storage Arrays.

I have 3 EVA 6000's and all I install on my servers and my Management box is these drivers, Full Featured MPIO and SANSurfer(Qlogic Utility)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Arnulf Gercke
Frequent Advisor

Installed the Emulex Driver Package and CV EVA 4.0. But:
There are 4 HSV200 Devices in the Windows Device Manager, which have no driver.
The CV EVA agent does not start.
nsaserver.exe reports an entry in the windows event viewer.
Any ideas?
Arnulf Gercke
Frequent Advisor

We've tried the emulex drivers 5.2.30.2 (HP site) and 5.5.20.9 (latest driver from Emulex) - no success.

There are some other ProLiants connected to the EVA6000:
DL380 Win2k3 Server Standard, 2x Emulex HBA with 5-5.10a10, MPIO installed. Server has access to LUNs from the EVA6000.
We've installed CV EVA 4.0 on one of these servers and started the System Management Homepage. Under "Other Agents" there is no
CommandView EVA icon. Reason: CV EVA Agent does not start. Manual start of the agent does not work. There is an entry in the windows event log: nsaserver.exe could not be started. This is the same error as on the ProLiant Storage Server.
Where is the crux?

Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Arnulf,

It will be a good idea to check the COmmandview EVA 4.0 installation guide if you are meeting the pre-requisites for this installation.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&
prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497

In your case, I feel the required Java version is not in place. But check this out.

The Windows 2003 OS need to be Enterprise edition.

The browser version, Java version and other required products are mentioned in this guide.

Please let us know if this helps.

WIth regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude