108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: expanding an array on a smart array 5300

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

expanding an array on a smart array 5300

I have a DL380 G1 running windows 2000. I installed the drive cage kit. When I install the two disks the ACU does not see them. I have connected it to the existing drives with the cable provided and plugged into port 2 on the 5300 controller. Here is a link to the documentation. Starts on page 99.

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_120133-002/TPM_120133-002.pdf
6 REPLIES 6
Robert Dobalina
Valued Contributor

So to confirm you have the DL380 drive cage connected to port 2 on the 5300 with the point to point cable. Is anything else attached to the 5300 and is this a 5302 or 5304?
Robert Dobalina
Valued Contributor
Solution

Couple more points. Is the existing drive cage also attached to the 5300? What is the firmware of 5300, system and acu version.
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Robert,

Attached is some screen shots. The orginal 4 drives are attached to port 1 on the 5300.
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Robert,

The drive cage is connected to the orginal 4 drives with a cable and also connected to port 2 on the 5300 with a scsi cable. The cable that came with the drive cage was to short to reach port 2. I replaced it with a longer one. There was a scsi cable with a terminator on it in the server. Should I plug this cable into the drive cage instead of port 2 on the 5300?
Robert Dobalina
Valued Contributor

Never plug a cable with a terminator into a drive cage because it is not a point to point. The DL380 came standard with a ROC which is itself an array controller. Try to plug the point to point cable into the drive cage and the "scsi" controller ports on the systemboard to see if it recognizes the drive cage and its drives. Also obviously you are bringing the system down to do troubleshooting so plg your known good cable from your 4 drive cage into your 2 drive cage. You should be able to see if those drives are seen and if they are move to port 2. You won't harm your existing raid config as these controllers get the meta data from the drive first. Although you should be able to see everything fine with what you have you are dirt old firmware wise.
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Robert,

Thanks for your help. I got HP on the phone and after 2 hours they figured it out. On the 380 G1 when you add the option kit, the SCSI ID's change. The 2X1 cage (option kit) assumed the SCSI ID's 0 & 1 so I had to remove drives 0 & 1 from the 4X1 cage and put them in the 2X1 cage and so on. Also had to rewire the the cages for duplex mode. This was NOT in the documentation.