1753575 Members
5859 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: external disk array

Martin Wells
Frequent Advisor

external disk array

We have a external scsi disk array that is going to be attached to a N class server. This server is currently part of a service guard cluster and is soon to be removed.

My question is, is it possible to attach the array to one of our dev machines and configur them from that machine and then attach them to the N class once it has been removed from the cluster?
4 REPLIES 4
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Martin,

You should be able to accomplish this with the use of vgexport/vgimport. See the man pages for accomplishing this. Basically, you'll create the appropriate VG's, LV's, etc. When you're ready to move them, you'll create a map file for each VG, ftp them to the N-Class, then vgimport them there.

HTH,

Dave
Martin Wells
Frequent Advisor

One point I should have mentioned. Does the server the original config is done on have to be the same spec or would the same OS be enough
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

The same OS is fine, the server is not an issue. The device files will change, however, that is of no consequence to the vgexport/vgimport function.

Dave
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

As has already been indicated you can certainly move the volume group via vgimport. Because you don't mention the array type, you do need to be concerned about possible HVD/LVD SCSI bus issues. The two are not compatible.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.