1752782 Members
6437 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: firmware update on RA4100 Array Controller

Mari ONeill_1
Occasional Contributor

firmware update on RA4100 Array Controller

How do I update the firmware on a clustered RA4100 Array Controller?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
RBaker
Valued Contributor

Best if you take the servers down, boot one from the firware diskette. If you have redundant controllers HOT PLUG out the standby (LED NO9 off), update the firmware, HOT PLUG IN standby, HOT PLUG out the other one and repeat. Each takes about 4 mins. If you try to do both at the same time then it can take up to 15 mins, if you don't HOT PLUG then they get confused with who is active.

I've done it semi-live a couple of times but definately not for the faint hearted.
Mari ONeill

Hi Richard, thanks for replying to my post so quickly.

Just to make sure I understand what needs to be done.

We have three servers connected via fiber hub to three drive cages. the servers are DL380 G1s and the SAN Drive cages are where the RA4100s reside. The servers are running NetWare 6.0 sp4.

With that in mind, if I understand you correctly, I would boot one of the three servers to the Options ROMPaq for RAID Controllers Version 3.10a diskettes and upgrade the controllers located in the Drive Cages?

Thanks for all your help,
Mari
RBaker
Valued Contributor

Basically yes, but make sure all but one of the servers is off, and update a single RA4100 controller at a time (quicker). Power off any enclosures not in use and if you do have dual controller in one enclosure hot plug the standby controller(Led 9 off) update the firmware then replace the other controller (give it 3 or so mins to boot up) then hot plug the other and update. Repeat for all the enclosures.
Mari ONeill

Thanks again Richard.

We're going to schedule an outage for our cluster.

Mari
RBaker
Valued Contributor

Best of luck, make sure you give them a good few minutes to update (has taken as long as 5 mins for me, usually 2-3 though).