New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-ux num_tachyon_adapters kernel parameter

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

hp-ux num_tachyon_adapters kernel parameter

hi,

What is the purpose of this parameter : num_tachyon_adapters. What is the problem if it is set to 0 when having a tachyon card ? What can it cause if set to more or less than the real number of tachyon adapters ?

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
7 REPLIES 7
B. Hulst
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

This seems to be limited nowadays to max 5.
Maybe it allocates too much memory per adapter.

Regards,
Bob
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

My main problem here, is that I have 2 servers with tachyon cards (one each). One has this parameter set to 5, the other one to 0. And I don't know if it can cause troubles.

Regards,

Fred
--

B. Hulst
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The (common sense or real) limit seems to be anyway set to 5.

Most software that change kernel parameters at installation time set this to either 1 or 2.
If you have the adapters or not. :)

For your system with 0 I would set it to 1.

And if, you want to keep your systems in similar configuration then the other one could go from 5 to 1...since there is only one adapter in each machine.

Regards,
Bob
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I understand it must be set to 1 on both servers, and I planned to do it (requires reboot), but I'm still interressed in knowing what problems may occur with bad settings...

Regards,

Fred
--

David Child_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fred,

If memory serves the only drawback to setting this parm too high is you will waste resources (the system will use up a certain amount of memory for each one). If set to '0' I believe it will work, but will not set up the memory buffers and therefore may not perform as well.

Also, I am fairly sure this parm only applies to Tachyon cards, not the newer Techlite cards.

David
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

Fred,

Here is some additional details (clarifications). No need for points on this one.

num_tachyon_adapters specifies how many Tachyon FCP adapters are installed in the system so that an appropriate amount of memory can be allocated for them at system start-up ***if the system does not provide I/O virtual addressing***.

If your system does not provide I/0 virtual addressing, set num_tachyon_adapters equal to the number of Tachyon FCP adapters actually installed in the machine. During boot-up, the system then reserves a corresponding amount of memory for use by those adapters, varying that amount according to the value of max_fcp_reqs.

If the system supports I/O virtual addressing, set this parameter to zero. The system then automatically allocates memory as needed.

If you do not know whether your system provides I/O virtual addressing, setting this parameter to a non-zero value is harmless, provided the value does not exceed the number of Tachyon FCP adapters actually installed in the system. If the value exceeds the number of installed adapters, a corresponding amount of memory is wasted because it cannot be used for other purposes.

David
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Thanks for this explanation David.
I had it set to 0 on one machine and this one was having performance problems. I set it to 1, but it doesn't seem to be really better...

Thanks again,

Fred
--