1752465 Members
5720 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hsg80 acs update 8.6 to 8.7

yves le bot
Occasional Advisor

hsg80 acs update 8.6 to 8.7

we are suspecting a disk problem when we upgrade the acs software (partition 8 mega still exist on some unit on the EMA8000) .Is it sobedy know this problem ? What we can make

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yves:

The 8MB partition you are referring to is usually useless new disk data. Assuming you are runing Windows (or really any OS), the only way to get rid of the partition (that I know of) is to run the utility DILX.

DILX can be VERY destructive and you should take caution when using it. If you select the wrong Units, you WILL DELETE ALL your data.

Are you worried about new disks/units with this partition? or existing units? If you have existing units, there is not much you can do except to run DILX and restore from tape afterwards.

If you have new, unpopulated units, then you can safely run DILX without the loss of data (since there is no data to begin with).

Either way, you need to be VERY careful with DILX. I can offer some steps to help ease the process if you can answer some of my questions.

Happy Holidays...

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
yves le bot
Occasional Advisor

Steven

the units are in production, this is existing disks, the data on these disks can-t be deleted. There is only one server per san :windows 2000 server ,secure path.

We don't want to use DILX for theses reasons but somebody tells us that if there such disks (with EISA 8 Mb partition) on the MA8000, we have to suppress all these eisa partition by the use of DILX, otherwise the VCS upgrade will fail. Can't you confirm that information?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's been a long time problem and applies to ACS V8.6 as well.

I know quite some customers / partners (including us) who have suffered from the problem and who spent a lot of time on fixing it because they became aware only _after_ the installation.

Here is a link to the customer advisory:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_OD010710_CW01

(It seems to have suffered as well, because it does not include Windows 2000, but Compa field service had requested us to fix such installations, too.)
yves le bot
Occasional Advisor

Steven, Uwe

thanks for you response but in a contractual situation i ask backup and init of all disk to my customer.

Good year to you and your family.