I replaced disk 0 with a new one.
How can i change status to my disk 1 and
so reconditioning the array?
7 REPLIES 7
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: interim recovery mode

Francesco,

You should not need to do anything. Proliants by default come with automatic RAID recovery option enabled. So, when you replace a faulty drive with a new one in a redundant array setup such as RAID 1, raid rebuild (mirror recovery) starts automatically.

ACU or the management agensts will tell you the mirror rebuild progress. Once mirror rebuild is completed, the status should change to OK and you should also get a message in the "system" event log indicating the same.

How long have you waited for the mirror recovery to complete?How big are your disks?

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Francesco_50
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Saket,

my server has 2 hd 72 gb, and it's still working with only one, but the problem i suppose is that the controller has disabled bay 0 with no possibilities for F1 or F2 options....
so, it's possible that the array is lose?
and if it is ... how i can rebuild the mirror?
e4services
Honored Contributor

I would try powering down and returning the original drive in it's original position. Remove and reseat the other disk.
Compaq states: "Sometimes a drive that has previously been failed by the controller may seem to be operational after the system is power-cycled, or after the drive has been removed and reinserted"
If you can get it back, THEN back up, and start replacing all the drives.
But the term "interim data recovery" seems to give the idea that the data is being recovered. Where is this being reported?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Interim Data Recovery
In RAID 5, RAID 4, or RAID 1 fault-tolerant configurations, if a drive fails, the system continues to operate in an interim data recovery mode. For example, if you had selected RAID 5 for a logical drive with four physical drives and one of the drives fails, the system continues to process I/O requests, but at a reduced performance level. Replace the failed drive as soon as
possible to restore performance and full fault tolerance for that logical drive.

Failed drives in hot-pluggable trays can be removed and replaced while host system and storage system power are both ON. Hot-pluggable drives can also be replaced when the power is OFF. If the drive is inserted
while power is ON, in fault-tolerant configurations, recovery of data on the
replacement drive will automatically begin (indicated by blinking online LED). The capacity of replacement drives must be at least as large as the capacity of the other drives in the array. Drives that are insufficient capacity will immediately be failed by the controller without starting the Automatic Data Recovery.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

If a drive in a fault-tolerant configuration is replaced while the system power is OFF, the controller will display a Power-On Self-Test (POST) message during the subsequent system startup. This indicates that the replacement drive has been detected and that Automatic Data Recovery may need to be started. Press F1 to initiate the background Automatic Data Recovery process.
If Automatic Data Recovery is not enabled, the logical drive will remain in a ├в ready to recover├в condition and the same query will be displayed at the next system restart.
Replacement drives are not considered to be ├в online├в until Automatic Data Recovery is completed, at which time the online LED stops blinking and is on ├в solid.├в Any drives that are not yet ├в online├в are treated as if they are ├в failed├в when trying to determine whether fault tolerance will be compromised. In general, the time required for a rebuild is approximately 15 minutes per gigabyte.
During Automatic Data Recovery, if the online LED of the replacement drive stops blinking and all other drives in the array are still online, the Automatic Data Recovery process may have been abnormally terminated due to an noncorrectable read error from another physical drive during the recovery process. During Automatic Data Recovery, if the online LED of the replacement drive stops blinking and the replacement drive is failed (amber failure LED illuminated or other LEDs go out), the replacement drive is producing unrecoverable disk errors. In this case, the replacement drive should be removed and replaced w
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Francesco_50
Occasional Contributor

thanks Eservice.com

but the last part of your interesting reply is missing...please can u post again?
or send a complete mail to me?
b_dimolto@virgilio.it

Thanks
Bill Coffey_1

I had the same problem; the short answer is that I had inadvertently changed the position of the drive (from ID0 to ID1 on a Proliant ML5300) and when I re-inserted it in the proper position, rebuilding stated immediately.

Check the Array Configuration Utility for the correct drive postion. When the wiew is set to "physical" the ID of the missing drive is shown.

I just stumbled on the answer, not sure if this will fix your problem.