1752806 Members
5993 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

logical drive extension

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

logical drive extension

Why cannot I extend a logical drive with ACU within NT server?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: logical drive extension

I have experienced the same problem and Compaq has informed me this is not supported under NT 4.0, even though the ACU says it is. The drives that I have added are no rendered useless unless I reload the machine. This is Compaq's recommendation. Horrific!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: logical drive extension

I had a similar problem with the smart-2 controller, wouldn't allow me to add more physical drives to the existing logical unit inside NT. Compaq techsupport told me expansion couldn't be done, only adding more new logical units, but here's what worked: Shutdown, install the new drives to the storage system, reboot to Bios (f10) and go into the array config utility (this program resides on the hidden setup partition, if it is not available use your Smartstart CD), you should now be able to add the drives to the existing logical unit you want it on. Reboot to NT. The RAID5 data should be being distributed accross the new disks, the drive access lights should be pretty active now. (it can take a while, longer if the server is online and in active use, which is ok). If you want to run the ACU in NT do it from the smartstart CD (the executable version is buried somewhere in there) that came with the server or Smart-2 controller.