1753506 Members
5104 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lost data?!?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

lost data?!?

I had a fully functional 4200 array with RAID5+1 operating in a ProLiant DL380. I powered the server off to change out a Remote Insight PCI in favor of the Lights Out RIB. Powering back up, the 4200 refused to recognize the array attached. After lengthy conversations with Compaq via telephone, they concluded that all data was lost from the array, and we had to rebuild from backups. Why wasn't the array information available from the drives? During the POST, The 4200 reported 1 Logical Drive detected. Does this imply that if an array controller fails, all data on the attached drives is lost?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If when you rebooted the server and it still saw 1 logical drive or howmany ever you had initially but gave you a strange message like drive positions changed or array not configured, what you can try to do is power down the server remove all drives except id 0 and boot. What should happen then is the array would come up id the logical drive and say drives x, y, & z are missing. The power down and put in the next drive in the sequence and power up. Follow this pattern till all drives are recognized. What this does is rebuilds the risc inform on the controller and all should be fine. This happens rearly but this solution should resolve your issue and have you back up and running if not do as you did restore from backup.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks to Onion Quest whoever you are...

I had this same problem with a Smart-2 Array Controller which seemed to have lost its configuration. It was coming up saying that 0 logical drives were found. I NEW that the drives were okay so I carried out your procedure and it worked like a dream!

Saved a very long restore and coming in at the weekend.
I am an ACT but this wasn't covered in any courses....... Why Compaq? :-)
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Really good info here guys - thanks.