New Discussion юеВ

Re: migrate data between two XP10000

SOLVED
Go to solution
ronald_d
Occasional Contributor

migrate data between two XP10000

Hi ,
I have a XP10000 array ,for some reasons we want to migrate the data between this XP10000 to another XP10000 ,located in same data centre ,which software from HP I can use at storage level to migrate the data in betweeen two arrays ,I then want to present the data in new array to server ,without any changes on server ,is that possible?

Thanks in advance.....
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

You need to provide more details here.

Is the data active? Is it staying in the same server? What server OS? What do you mean without any changes on the server? No reboot or no application/database shutdown?
ronald_d
Occasional Contributor

Yes the data is active .The servers will be same .They are HP unix servers.Naturally we can reboot the servers if required.
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

At storage level you have two choices. CA and XP External Storage feature. If you keep the geometry the same then you cutover each server from one XP to the other. You still have to go through the exercise of zoning the server to the new XP and importing the volumes on the server.

You should also consider server level migration. If you can zone each server to both arrays concurrently you have at least two options. Use mirroring to mirror each volume from one array to the other and then break the mirror for the first XP. Attach the volumes of the second XP to the corresponding volume groups of the first XP and then move the physical blocks (LVM extends or VxVM volumes) from each disk on the first XP to each disk in the second XP. Look at LVM-pvmove, VxVM-vxevac and "vxsd mv"
Robin T. Slotten
Trusted Contributor

I have used Mirror-UX to migrate data (Oracle DataBases) between storage systems a number of times. This has been from JBOD to storage system and also from 2 different manufacturers storage systems on the SAN. This can be done live. Performance is limited to the slowest storage system. When I migrated off of JBOD to SAN storage, the performance boost when I broke the mirror was so noticable, I got calls asking what happend. Real happy users....

Rob...
IF you do it more than twice, write a script.
S.M.Athar
Advisor

Hello Robin,
I am working on the same scenario that I have two EVA and I want to do the Mirror/UX between the two EVA Disk. Its really hopeful for me after viewing your post.Robin will you please describe the procedure what you did and when you break the mirror or Discontinued the old Storage then what will be the effect on the remaining disk. Please note that HP Service Guard is running for Oracle Database Clustering.
I am waiting for your reply or It is possible for you to give us your contact information or is there any step by step procedure. Please help us on this scenario.
Thanks & Regards
Athar Hussain
+92 333 2457207