SOLVED
Go to solution
fam_by
Occasional Contributor

move vdisk from one DG to another within one array

Hello.
Can somebody help me in this question?
I have old DG with 16 146GB disks.
Now my company bought 16 600GB disks and I create new DG.
Now I need to move virtual disks that was created in old DG to the new DG.
I have BC License.
How can I move these Virtual Disks?
Can I make this without interruption of services (I have SQL and Exchange DB's on this Virual disks)?
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: move vdisk from one DG to another within one array

The EVA cannot migrate virtual disks between disk groups - not even 'offline'. If the EVA has a Business Copy (BC) license and allows the MirrorClone feature it is possible to reduce the downtime somewhat, but it is necessary to take the servers offline, unpresent the original, break the mirror, present the cloned vdisk in the new DG and then restart the servers.
fam_by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for answer.
Could you give me a link to the documentation of this process (I mean mirrorclones)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

- Set up a 'container' in the other disk group.
- Go to the virtual disk and create a mirrorclone (there should be a button at the top of the properties page).
- The mirrorclone starts 'syncing' = making a copy to the former container.
- After the sync is complete, shut down the hosts. This ensures that the data is 'clean'.
- Unpresent the source virtual disk.
- Go to the mirrorclone and select 'detach'.
-- This will separate the former container from the original and convert it into a new, independent vdisk.
- Present the new vdisk to the host(s).
- Boot the hosts.

Delete the original vdisk if you are satisfied with the result.

Don't forget to make a new EVA configuration capture after the migration.
AndrewZhalnin
Occasional Advisor

Hi! First of all sorry for my English)

I've got some problem with EVA P6300: I migrated vdisk from 1-st DG to 2-nd, detached vdisk and deleted vdisk from 1-st DG. But unfortunately, I hadn't unpresented vdisk from host and... 1-st DG haven't decreased the volume. What happend and what can I do?

SKKU
Frequent Visitor

If I understood your query right, you want to delete the vdisk in DG1. Just unprsent this vdisk using CommandView EVA software and delete the vdisk.

As a precausionary measure, make sure you have the mirror clone in consistent state and delete the original vdisk only after confirming that the mirror clone is working fine and has consistent data on it