5880 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

msa30 - how to configure array?

Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

msa30 - how to configure array?

Hi everybody!

I'm in trouble with my first msa30 configuration!!! I used a msa1000, a va, and EVA and some XP but...never used a jbod like array!

So...Here I'm...

I've a hpux 11.11 rp4440 with Smart Array 6402 raid controller and a msa30 with ultra 320 scsi ctrl.

From the hpux server I can see all the array disks (ioscan -fnCdisk is ok...I see 6 disks) so I could configure lvm, vg, lv etc etc...but I'd like to configure raid level, lun and everything on the msa30.

So...How can I use the raid manager (if anyone exist)? How can I create the luns...the spare disk for raid5 configuration?

Thanks in advance to anyone!

Emanuele
10 REPLIES 10
Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

Re: msa30 - how to configure array?

Ehmm...sorry...I forget a particular!

I don't want to make the array bootable...I already have 2 internal disks as boot device...so...I only need the array disks for free space...

Thanks again
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I think you are looking for the Array Configuration Utility. (ACU)

I've never configured (anything for that matter) a Smart Array/MSA30 on an HP-UX box so I am nto sure of the steps, but on a Proliant box, you can just boot with an ACU bootable CD, which loads linux and the ACU... you configure your array(s) and reboot into your OS.

Another way might be (if your server displays it) is the ORCA or Online ROM Configuration for Arrays. It loads as part ofd the firmware during bootup abd is accessible bt pressing F8 after the Smart Array BIOS initializes (on a Proliant Server anyway).

Apart from that, I am not sure what else can be done on a HP-UX box.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

thank you for your help but....I'm on a rp4440 pa risc based server so...I can't press F8 and wait to "go ahead, enter go ahead enter" :-)

Nobody has any idea?
I suppose I can run some kinf of raid command...like arm.. etc etc
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The smartarray controller is printing the F8 on the screen, but this is without meaning for your server. Did you connect the MSA30 to your Smartarray ctrl? Now you have to use sautil to manage the connected disks.

Search the ioscan -fn output for /dev/cissx devices (x will be a number) and see man sautil.

Notice, if you have a duplex internal disk config for your server, you can't connect external disks to it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

Hi again!

after a long night...This morning I go in
/opt/raidsa/bin
and try to run sautil and saconfig!

Wow...that's the answer to my problems!

Saconfig is the answer I was looking for!
It can create logical drives with hardware path! ;-)

So...I'll go to understand what is the "channel"...and finally...I?ll build the logical drive with raid 5 level!

Thanks to everybody
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you know you have to use saconfig/sautil this is easy.
Anyway, it should be always possible to connect the MSA to a proli, run the ACU from there to do an initial setup and connect it later back to the HP-UX box, especially if you want to use it as a boot device.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

Everything is ok now!

The bigger problem was...the cable connection! I don't know who connected the scsi cabl to the controllers...anyway:

1) the msa30 connection was on bus B..but I had disks on bay 0-5...so I should use bus A
2) the server connection: The cable was conncted to a ultra wide 320 scsi controller and NOT to the raid controller! ;-)

So I did see the disks (by a normal scsi bus) but not in the raid manager...

As soon as I connected the raid ctrl...saconfig and sautil worked perfectly...I createe the logica lunit...spare dis...raid level...and filesystems...

All ok...

Thanks to everybody..specially for the answer...even if...this time...the solution came by itself! ;-)

By by

Emanuele
Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

cable connection problems....as soon as the connection was right...everything comes easy!

saconfig and sautil are the utlity for configuring logical drives, RAID level and spare disks.
Sys admin_4
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emanuele.

My name is Vittorio and I'm an Hp-UX admin.
I read that you configured a MSA30 with RP4440 and SmartArray 6402.
I'm in trouble with a similar configuration (RP4410, MSA30 and SmartArray 6402).

Please, could you help me?
If you like you can contact me at vittorio.trinelli@infores.com and I will explain you my problem.

Best regards.

Vittorio