Disk Enclosures
1752801 Members
5426 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: netraid express tools - drive failed

john_1054

netraid express tools - drive failed

I have an old netserver lh pro that does not boot. Netraid express tools says there's a failed drive ( raid 5). Can I do a rebuild on that ( non destructive). There are no errors listed for the drive
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

If you have a raid 5 (minimum 3 hdd) and one is failed, you still have your data and the server should be able to boot.

I do not understand why with just one failed disk you cannot boot from a raid 5, are you sure you have just one hdd marked as failed?

marino
john_1054

problem resolved..sort of. the error was in nvram. the physical drives were ok. I did a rebuild and it seems to be ok. It's a little unsettling not knowing why.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ok, fine

I undernstand now that you got a NVRAM/Disk mismmatch, in this case, always look at both configuration and status, them save the right one. ;)
This note if for anybody who will read the thread in the future
e4services
Honored Contributor

John, I think we spoke on the phone yesterday when you called our support line.
I am glad it worked out for you, simply re-saving the NVRAM data.
It is concerning that the stored data was lost some how. You could try turning it off again as see if it repeats. Could be that the NVRAM is bad. You could run the hardware diagnostic tool and see if it finds a problem with the controller and it's NVRAM.
Sorry we got cut off by the way
Hot Swap Hard Drives
john_1054

I powercycled the machine and had plenty of chkdsk errors. Rebooted again and things look clean. Thanks for your help
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well now it DOES sound like there is a bad drive. On that is developing bad sectors. You said at first that one of the drives was marked as failed. I WOULD suggest replacing it. Also, you may consider replacing all the drives if you are going to keep the unit up for another few years. The current drives are probably at their end of life anyway.
Hot Swap Hard Drives