108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

netserver raid 12 fc

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ricardo Carvalho_1

netserver raid 12 fc

hi to all
i have a 3 disk level 5 raid instaled with two logical drives after 48 hours of power down becouse of a move to another room one logical drive is unknow and the other is ok what is this? anyone nows?

it was working ok since january 2002
8 REPLIES 8
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: netserver raid 12 fc

Ricardo,

Did you have any errors on POST? Does ctrl-M show any drives in failed state? Does the logical drive show as unknown in ctrl-M or in the operating system.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Ricardo,

not sure what happened here but if you know the details of the raid configuration of the logical drive in the RS12/FC then you can use 'Raid Assistant' in the 'FC Array Assistant Utility' and reconfigure the logical drive with the same parameters and make sure you deselect the "Init Drive' in step 3 (Logical Drive TAB) option before saving the logical drive config.
This way you only re-write the array/logical drive configuration and don't touch the data on those disks.

Hopefully this enables access to your data again.

Kris
Ricardo Carvalho_1

hi Greg
its a storage external in fiber so ctrl-m i cant use but farray assistance i can it was the program used to configure it back in 2002

the problem its that the configuration is there and i have no errors, not in windows or in the farray assistance log
it start on power working for 3 or 4 minuts when it was green light one logical drive its ok the other one has the same size the same parameters but windows calls it an unknown partition. the guys who sold me the device back in 2002 didnt find any errors also just windows and the netserver controler think thats a new logical drive.....

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ricardo,

so the logical drives are both still visisble in the RS12/FC, it looks like Windows does not see the second logical drive as a valid partitioned disk then.
Maybe some corruption occured in the file system when this was shutdown... just a guess, hard to tell.

Make sure you're on the last F/W which is here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=62540&taskId=135&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=62538тМй=en&cc=us&swEnvOID=54

Eventually try a Consistency Check :

- from the Controller View double click the
disk icon that says Raid5 above it on the
right side of the Window , under Logical
Drives.
- select "Consistency Check"
- this will take a while (depends on disk
capacity) and will attempt to repair
raid5 inconsistencies if it can find any.

If this does not help the problem is purely at the OS level and i don't see much more that can be done then reformat the second logical drive.

You can also have a look in the log file fa1cl.log which resides on the system that runs the FC Array utility, maybe their is something logged in their at the time of the shutdown and power up that explains if their has been a problem.

HTH

Kris
Rasheed Sonson
Occasional Advisor

What version of Windows? If you have 2000 you may just need to rescan that logical disk.
Can you access the drive from your drive utils?
Look at the link for more infomation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131658
Ricardo Carvalho_1

hi kris
i m more in line of what you are telling i think that consistency check or logical initialise was what it did after i start power on. the device is now going to a data recover firm to try to recover data if possible when i get it back i will check the firmware version but sure its older than that you give me, i will have to wait and find something to put my backup up.
thanks a lot for your info
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Ricardo,

i hope you did not performed that 'init' of the logical drive, if you did then the data is gone and their is no way to recover it, save your money for something else.

regards, Kris
Ricardo Carvalho_1

Hi kris
i think it did it cos as soon as i connect the power it started working even without the pc on, so i dont know exactly what whent wrong...i just wait for it to finish and shut it down to send to repair as couldnt see my 2├В┬║ drive just the unknown one
as for question about the os the server is 2000 adv but i think thats irrelevant cos the error was befoure power on the server ..
it can be also a manufacture defect
it appears it does it everytime power is disconected from 8 to 12 hours.....just my luck..