1753868 Members
7340 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

new disk installation

MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

new disk installation

Had HP tech install 6 18 gig drives into existing disk array that already had 10 existing 4 gig drives. Drives have the fault light on. Tech mentioned that we would need to init the drives?? We cannot see the drives in SAM or with ioscan.
System: K560 OS:11.0 unix

What needs to be done??
14 REPLIES 14
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: new disk installation

What kind of disk array?

Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

What type of array? Smart enclosure, Autoraid, ...? There are different answers for different arrays.

Autoraid:
Previously Used
disk was used by another autoraid, "include" manually either through the panel or: arraycfg -D A2 {or whatever disk slot} -a 00000F23423 {or whatever serial number}

Smart Enclosure:
The system will need to be rebooted, then you should be able to see them with ioscan.
III) How to add a disk to a Volume Group
Note The following examples is using the disk c1t6d0 and the volume
group vg01

1) Prepare the disk
pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0

Note if the disk was previously used in another VG use the
following command instead:

pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0

Note: Use caution when using pvcreate -f as this will
overwrite the existing volume group information on the disk.

2) Add the disk to the Volume Group
vgextend /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0

Hope this helps.
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

The array is autoraid.

HP model 20 disk array
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

you have to use the gridmanger to add those disk as part of a lun.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manindex/hphighavai19164_eng_man.html

Look at the user guide in the above link.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

The autoraid instructions I posted earlier are ones that I know will work for a 12H. Don't know about a 20 having never worked on one of those.

C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Mark, a model 20 array is not the same as an autoraid.
These are differnet products and are handled differently.
What needs to be done is the new iscs need to be configured into te array using either gridmanager for a Nike Model 20, or arraymgr (I think) for an autoraid.
Only once this has been done, will the array "present" the discs to the outside world, and thus have them seen by ioscan and SAM.
The HP enginer should have been able to assist you with this.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

gridmanager shows the new drives as removed. The fault light is on for all these drives. Does the disk array need to be power cycled?
Not sure what the next step is?

Mark
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

Suggest you power down the array. Then restart the Disk Array and run the grid manager. If the disk led's are still yellow,You may need disks to be replaced. Also check and see if the firmware on the disk array controller can support the disks you have installed on the system.

Hope this helps.

Regds
MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

When we power cycle the array, should we expect the fault lights to go off before we do any gridmanager config.

Mark