1753851 Members
7236 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: nike array

Seth Baker
Occasional Advisor

nike array

im trying to use an old nike array, a3549a, with my hp 9000 series 800 e25 server. I need to reconfigure the Array to Unix...I am not sure what the array was used for before I had it, but i know it wasnt based in Unix...how do I go about reconfiguring this beast? Ive tried accessing it through SAM and I get "sam was unable to determine the disk drive model of the disk drive attached to your system" Is there a different way that I need to connect to the Array, maybe through a direct console?
9 REPLIES 9
GGA
Trusted Contributor

hello

have u set the scsi setting on the array for the controller and the disks ?

maybe u see scsi errors in ur logfile ?
if the scsi settings correct u should see the disks with ioscan -fnC disk

regards gga
Seth Baker
Occasional Advisor

yeah, i can see the disks through ioscan...i just cant do anything with them
GGA
Trusted Contributor

insf -e
can u make pvcreate
and put filesystem on the disks

regards gga
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Can you provide more details?

Which HP-UX version you have and its patching level?

Which SCSI controller card in E25 you are using to connect to this array?

# ioscan -fn

Do you see any errors in
# dmesg
# /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

Do you see SPs ( storage processor ) in the
Disk and File Systems -> Disk Devices

I would advise to refer the user guide
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28391/lpg28391.pdf

Seth Baker
Occasional Advisor

HP-UX 11
patch B.11.00

Scsi control card: 28696A

no errors in dmesg

and no sp's show up in the disk devices!

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi seth,

with the nike arrays you need to directly connect a terminal to the console port A on the back. then you power up the array and you will see the grid manager load from here you configure the raid set as you wish.
If the disks are still configured with an old raid set this maybe whats been detected in ioscan.
Then when configured connect to your e25 and reboot. This should pick up the disks as lun devices which can then be added to HPUX in the normal way.

if device files are not automatically created, you can create them by
#insf -e

then a full
#ioscan to rescan the system
then
#ioscan -funC disk
should display devoce files for the newly created luns

Andy
Seth Baker
Occasional Advisor

I have connected a terminal and unbinded and rebound all of the disk arrays with the raid level I want. And the 9000 picked up the first bind that I did fine, it found the array and recognized the controller. I then finished binding all of the disks, and it said unable to determind the disk drive model of the disk drive attached again. It's like it kicked it back out for some reason....would I need to do a SAD patch maybe? I know it was needed for an MPE system with this Nike Array...???
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi seth,

if th system is not patched upto date then it would be a good idea to patch it.
there were patches released for the arrays inc cumulative sam patches and lvm patches, and to enable the use of larger disks then 4gb i seem to remember.
these should still be downloadable from the patch depot, search for nike array.
the only other thing i can think of is the firmware on the sp card, there were different versions. if the array has 2 controllers try using the other one to verify its not them thats causing the problem

I was always keen to reboot the system after configuring the nike arrays, to amke sure everything is picked up again.

Andy
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

There may be firmware updates needed to the nike array's grid manager for it to work with your release of HP-UX.
Mom 6