108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

old raid 5 probs

SOLVED
Go to solution
prodmanagr
Occasional Advisor

old raid 5 probs

We have a Compaq Proliant ML-350 with a SmartArray 431 controller running 3-18.2 GB Ultra3 Scsi drives in a raid 5 configuration. We are running Novel Netware 5 with support pak 3 installed. I have started getting messages that the failure of drive 1 is emminent, and that I should replace this drive as soon as possible. Trouble is, I have not been able to find any of the "hot swap" 18.2 gig drives. Lots of 73 gig and 146 gig drives, but can I use them to replace the failing drive or do I have to replace them all with the same size drives to maintain the raid configuration? If I can use one of these different size drives, do I just pull out the old one and stick in the new one? Is there a set of directions somewhere for replacing drives in a raid 5 set?
13 REPLIES 13
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: old raid 5 probs

Marcial Wils
Advisor

The size of the drive is not an issue, just keep in mind that the disk usage for your logical will be the same capacity for the smallest drive in the array.

What you really need to take care of is the speed and the technology.

both, speed and technology of all the disk drives need to be the same.

by technology I mean SATA or IDE eg.
prodmanagr
Occasional Advisor

Drives are SCSI Ultra3's 10K. Found replacements on eBay. Now the next question is what if the drives have data on them. when I stick it in the hotswap slot, will my drives overwrite it or will it overwrite mine??
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Well,pull out the failed/predictive failure disk and plug in the new/replacement disk in the same slot and data will be rebuilt to the replacement disk. This is the advantage of hot plug disks.

SRH
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

ONLY pull the bad disk out if it is actually physically lit up amber/red on the disk, otherwise the whole array may corrupt. It doesn't matter what data may be on the replacement disk as the system will detect it as a replacement and start to rebuild the data when you insert it.
The sheep tell me what I need to know
prodmanagr
Occasional Advisor

OK, Marc! Now that confuses me! The computer displays a message when I boot saying that failure of disk one is imminent! Please replace as soon as possible. No red lights or anything else. Why not replace it now before it fails??
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

This is a predictive failure warning i suppose and the led may be green still.
It could be a storage sub-system fault which may have triggered this warning.
If you can schedule a downtime,update all the firmwares by booting off the F/w cd and see if it helps,else replace the disk.

Let me know the server generation and i'll check if f/w cd would work or not.

SRH
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Though its quite an old doc(6Pg),technology and concept is more or less the same. Hope it clears your doubts/confusion.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_11dt-119a-wwen/TPM_11dt-119a-wwen.pdf

SRH
prodmanagr
Occasional Advisor

Sandeep,
I don't think there is a generation. This is a COMPAQ ML-350 and it was one of the first ones out. It is at least 6 years old.