1753519 Members
6169 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem rebuilding failed drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

problem rebuilding failed drive

the server in question is a 5500. Drive 0 in the array failed and it was replaced.
the server has 4 hard drives configured in RAID 5 and two logical drives are configured in the array.
After the drive was replaced it would start to rebuild the first logical drive and stop at 5% and would rebuilt the second logical drive. If yoou use ADU it report thet the drive is QUEUED for rebuilt but after 2 days nothing.
Ran the array config. utility and reports the same. I even replaced the drive again and it did the same thing.
Replaced the controller with another one and still it refuses to rebuilt the first logical drive.

Have anyone seen anything like it?
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

which controller are you using? Does it have the latest firmware (4.44 I blieve)? what is the cache policy set for? what is your rebuild priority set to on the controller?

Todd Hayward MCSE, ASE
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smart-2/p Version 4.32
Also tried upgrading to a newer controller Smart 2DH
Tried all 3 setting for rebuild and no difference.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Try upgrading the firmware on the other drives in the Array .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes I have seen this problem!! I just resolved this on a proliant 5500 and resolution is not what you want to here. You are going to wipe the array and reconfigure it. So I would suggest creating a recent backup and then restore it after it have been fixed.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Another thing. This is caused by other drives in the array having logged hard errors on them. If you check the ADU or CIM you will find this out.

This is to Compaq. Roger I a compaq eng. and I have been seeing this often in the support forum am if I were you I would have this escalated to your eng. department. The firmware on the controllers needs to be either less or more inteligent and should still be able to rebuild thies raidsets.
Thanks
Mike