New Discussion юеВ

Re: purpose of BC and CA

SOLVED
Go to solution
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

purpose of BC and CA

Dear(s),
i would like to know purpose of BC and CA, why we are doing BC or CA on storage,and what exactly happenig on backround,

becoz we can create LUN and can assing to host so what is the necessity of BC

thanks
siva
11 REPLIES 11
raadek
Honored Contributor
Solution

BC is for local replication, e.g. snapshots which allow you to roll back to an older version of you data if required.

CA is meant for remote replication as a tool for achieving Disaster Recovery solution.

In plain English - when you loose your entire building BC won't save your data, CA will do.

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

Dear,

ok u comparing with CA, first let me know as yet clearly what is use of BC when we are creating LUN, is it alloting grp of LUN to particular host or something else

thank
siva

raadek
Honored Contributor

I am not 100% what is your question really about?

Are you thinking possibly about accessing the same LUN by many hosts? You would need clustering in this case.

BC only creates a 'picture' of a state of your data at certain point in time. Then you can access this 'picture' - mount to a host, but still only a sinlge one if you don't implement clustering.

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Siva,

BC is Business copy. This is the point-in-time copy of your prdocution data. Some of the uses of BC are,

1) Backup operation
2) Data Mining
3) test /development

1) backup operation:
In a large data environment, production LUN cannot be kept down until backups are performed on it. You take a snapshot of the production LUN and use this snapshot to perform your backup operation. Your production LUN need not be kept for this purpose. This snapshot is called Business copy.

If your storage has enough space you can maintain more than 1 snapshot of a LUN so that a recovery can be performed faster from this snapshot, faster than from recovering through a backup tape.

2) Datamining

You can take a snapshot of the production data and use the snapshot for performing analysis on the data. This ensures that your production LUN need not be used directly for such purposes.

3) Test / development

A snapshot can be used for test /development purposes. The developers can use this snapshot independant of the production data to perform any upgrades, fixes and test it before porting the same to the Production environment.

Hope this helps.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

Dear(s),

some i have understand, my exact questions are i have confused before asking the questions. but now i got little bit idea abt BC, so now let clear BC which creating at host side as well as storage side is correct at the first time of creation at host will be P vol correct? strogage will S- vol,

now host will be s vol when we are split the BC and same pairs will be used by another host ?

if u r getting confuse please clear me as you know well

thanks
siva
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Siva,

Enna solringeenga! onnum puriyalai. kelvi enna sir!

Can you please re-phrase your question again? I am not able to understand your question in the last post.

With regards,
MOhan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

Dear,

nan enna solla varenaaa,

simply tell me the step to create BC on XP12k disk array. here i am not asking step by step procedure, i asking algorithms only,

like first we have to create LUN and have to create volume grp and assign particular host Id and on host we have to install raid manager then pair creation and split pair and same procedure on another hosts (here needed little aparently)... likeswise

can u provide me please

thanks
siva
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Easy question:

BC is used to attach the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Washington, Idaho, and Montana to the rest of the earth.

CA performs a similar function for Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Baja California.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

Dear, clay

can u explain little briefly

thanks
siva