9878 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: quorum disk should cluster raid 5 or mirror

cms_2
Occasional Contributor

quorum disk should cluster raid 5 or mirror

Dear All,
We have Hp Eva 3000 & luns presented to nas box.2 nas box configured in cluster enviornment.1 gb quorum lun vraid5.Is this the proper configuration or we have to change quorum disk to raid -1 for high availability ,If to change pls guide me how to configure vdisk in raid-1 in array,
THis question bcause of only i have read nas documentation quorum strongly recommended raid-1.

pls give me the solution

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Storage > Training & Education to Disk Array - HP Forums moderator

3 REPLIES 3
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

My opinion -
1. EVA has a lot of high availabilty + redundancy features
2. Vraid5 on EVA I beleive is good enough
3. Had it been not on an EVA, may be raid 1 would have been good option. But VRAID5 on an EVA is good enough I suppose
4. I believe your EVA is runing VCS 3.028 which is pretty stable firmware as well.

Regards.

If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I respect other oppinions, but based on my experience (mostly bad experiences), I want to do some comments:

>> 1. EVA has a lot of high availabilty + redundancy features

Yes, but also FC disks tends to fail very often. The loose of the quorum disk and process to replace the quorum disk in a MS environment can give you some troubles. So, I will recommend the use of VRAID1, as the quorum disk only need to be very small (1 GB minimum for EVA).

>> 2. Vraid5 on EVA I beleive is good enough
>> 3. Had it been not on an EVA, may be raid 1 would have been good option. But VRAID5 on an EVA is good enough I suppose

I had cases of multiple disks failures and
my VRAI1 survived and all VRAID5 failed. We use VRAID1 for all critical business data.

4. I believe your EVA is runing VCS 3.028 which is pretty stable firmware as well.

It's a stable version, but you should try to stay current with the updates as long as you can. I was adviced to upgrade to v4.

Again, this is only oppinions, I don't want to say that this is the fact or the true, this comments are based on my experience.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
cms_2
Occasional Contributor

Dear All,
Thanks for quick reply,i respect to opinion,
server was hang & resources was moving from one nas box to second nas box.many time this problem was faced.So For time being we have removed the cluster,We are observing with single nas server.luns presented to nas box.
Now single nas box is working fine in production.I understand raid -5 is for redundency.Suppose i have to go for raid -1 ,
How can i configure raid -1 in whole array for 1 gb quorum.