108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: raid 0+1

dipesh_2
Regular Advisor

Hi

There is a slight difference.

RAID 0+1 configuration where multiple disks are striped together into sets (sets A & B in the diagram, each set being as large as the resulting final volume), and then two or more sets are mirrored together.

RAID 1+0 configuration where two or more drives are mirrored together (mirrors 1-4 in the diagram), and then the mirrors (as many as are needed to result in the desired amount of space) are striped together.
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi Zung,

DEFENETLY IT IS NOT SAME

Simply

raid 0+1 ==> striping the mirrored volume

raid 1+0 ==> mirroring the striped volume

the redundancy differs in both config.
the mirror can survive a single disk failure and stripe cant.

With Regards,

Siva
Nothing is Impossible !
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

dipesh and Siva have exactly opposite definitions.

That's why I said I always talk about striped/mirrors or mirrored/stripes ;-)
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

From MSA CLI Guide:

Note: If more than one pair of drives are included in a RAID 1 array, the data is
striped across the first half of the drives in the array and then each drive is mirrored to a
drive in the remaining half of the drives for fault tolerance. This method is referred to as
RAID 1+0.
Adrian Parker
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Using the CLI to create a 1+0 lun, will the MSA 1000 automatically mirror across enclosures if it can, or is the lun set-up based on the order of disks on the command line ?

Thanks,
Adrian
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's my understanding that the MSA controller firmware is "smart" enough to use different enclosures on its own. I believe somebody from the MSA team said so some time ago here on ITRC, but I am not sure I could find the thread easily.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

ZungWon,

Peace!

1. 0+1 and 1+0 both gives you the same capacity

2. AS far as redundancy - 0+1 (stripe and mirror) will be able to handle more disk failures.

3. Performance - it depends on where the RAIDing is done. If RAIDing is done on the host level say - using VxVM, and you are dealing with JBOD enclosures - one RAID scheme may be better than the other performance wise.
Hakuna Matata.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Nelson,

Please recheck your second statement.

RAID 1+0 offers more redundancy than 0+1.

RAID 0+1 will only handle a single disk failure in each mirrored set.

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

John you are absolutely right. RAID10 indeed is more redundant.

Take 8 disks, carve 4 mirror sets (RAID1), stripe(RAID0) accross this 4 mirror sets and you've RAID10. You can loose 1 disk from each mirror set and your stripe stays intact.

In VxVM, you have what's called layered Volumes. You can have a stripe of stripes, s stripe or mirrors, a stripe of RAID5's, etc.. further incresing the reliability and scalability of storage.

Hakuna Matata.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Both 1+0 and 0+1 can handle same quantity of disk failures (for instance, second disk can fail in already failed half of 0+1 mirrorset). But probability of array failure with subsequentd HDD errors is much different (1/2 in RAID0+1 vs. 1/number of mirrors in RAID1+0).