5784 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sma home page n/a

Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

sma home page n/a

Hi,

I had a problem getting the managemnt app III into the windows domain.
i pulled it out of the domain with the win interface (properties on my computer).
i can now no longer connect to the management page of the appliance (osm).
when i use the IP address, nothing appears.
port number are no longer used, as i read here in the forum.
do i need to restore the appliance ?

thx
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Rocky,
I would try a login from the local console or via the terminal server connection and see what the network setup looks like. Can you PING it, at least?

It is my understanding that you are supposed to do that through the web-browser interface: Settings -> Network -> Domain membership.
Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

true indeed,
all looks well, just cannot reach the home page anymore.
seems like its a problem between the winos and the osm fo hp.
i had to restore ... i need it back up and running and am on time pressure.

to bad, thx anyway
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I agree, that is too bad. Please do not forget that the Windows 2000 on the SMA requires a number of patches. There is a PDF file on this page:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/softwaredrivers/managementappliance/index.html
Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

Uwe,

thanks for reminding me.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Rocky:

It sounds to me like you are going to have to restore the SMA.

Just because it is a windows 2000 server box does not mean that you can treat it like any other windows server. :-)

My guess would be that when you changed the network properties, it invalidated/overwrote the local user information, and now the application is not authorized to startup anymore. (Wrong Password)
VMS SAN mechanic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Err, Mike...
I beleive it is just the other way:

"Just _because_ it is a windows 2000 server box, you _have_ to treat it
like any other windows server." :-)

I admit that I don't run our own SMAs in a production environment, but whenever I have to make a change to them I take an image copy of the disk before the change. On the first revisions we didn't even have any restore CDs!!
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Uwe:

My point being that it does not NEED to be part of your larger W2K domain(s). Yes, you need to update it with patches as required like your other 2000 servers. But I do not need to have everyone with a signon to this box. Nor do I want to add unnecessary products that might kill the SMA. Blades are cheap... I can use one of those instead to install other tools onto.

VMS SAN mechanic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, I see. In that context your comment makes sense to me.

I am curious: how do you handle user authentication on you SMAs - you do have multiple boxes, don't you?
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Uwe:

Right now I have 3 SMA's. 2 are in service, one is not being used.

We have a grand total of 4 people that know the SMA passwords. Nobody else needs to be on there! Not even my manger has the password. :-)

The four of us know the Admin password, and we have created our own user accounts. Of those 4 people, one is our "Backup" person. The other 3 are the VMS/SAN Infrastructure team that does new builds and on-call support.

Mike

Uwe contact me offline -- mnaime at kc dot rr dot com
VMS SAN mechanic