Disk Enclosures
1753265 Members
5464 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

smart array 641 controller

chris_873

smart array 641 controller

I have 3 36gb drives configured in a raid 5 array providing a C and D drive. My C drive hosts the SBS 2003 OS and apps and is near capacity while D has very little data on it. Is it possibleto increase C drive and decrease D: respectively so that C drive has more breathing space?
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: smart array 641 controller

Chris:

You will ned some 3rd party application, something similar to Partition Magic, to perform the task you want. I believe there is some partition tool that works with Windows Server edition, as last I heard, Partition magic was not suitable.

There is no built in functionality in Windows or with HP Software to do this on a Smart Array Controller, at least none that I know of anyway.

Are C: and D: seperate logical drives? or are they 1 logical drive with 2 Windows partitions?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
chris_873

Hi Steven C and D are two partitions within the array. There are no other partitions.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Ah, SBS. It has the bad tendency to install everything in one partition and use only the space it was installed in. I know it took us some work to get around this with one customers new install. Now if you could warp the partition allocation around, would SBS hickup? Who knows. I would look into moving things onto D: to utilize the space and ease your expansion when you add more space later. It can be done. Search in the SBS support at Microsoft.
Hot Swap Hard Drives