1751854 Members
5709 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: steps in creating BC pair confusion

ionic_tease
Advisor

steps in creating BC pair confusion

I was reading over the pdf doc on creating BC pairs but I'm confused about a couple of things.
When creating a BC pair, does this mean that you reserve a LDEV of the same type and size to be used as a S-VOL to the P-VOL? So if you have five luns mapped to the hosts would you need to reserve five ldevs (one to one) on the SAN for BC? I know CommandView can be used to reserve and create the pair but can it be used to sync the BC pair? What is HORCM?
4 REPLIES 4
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Ionic,

HORCM stands for Hitachi Open Remote Copy Manager, since XP is OEM product from Hitachi the name came with it, in HP term, use Business Copy and Continuous Access.

BC pairing needs 2 Volume of the same size (can be of different RAID type and on different disk speed). PVOL (Primary Volume) is the primary volume which will be copied on the SVOL (Secondary Volume). For your question, if you have 5 LUNs mapped to host and you want to have BC copy of it, you need to have additional 5 LUNs (of exactly same size) to create the BC copy. Don't get confused with word "reserve", all it mean is that you should have those unallocated/free LUNs. Also, Command View can be used to create/split/resync the BC pairs.

Hope this helps
ionic_tease
Advisor

With CV you can sync when needed but can this be automated via a script on the UNIX host? All you need is a command device of at least 50M mapped to the host so it can used for communication between the host and the XP array but the part in automating the sync and break off(backup server mounts this and backup) I'm lost.
mavrick
Regular Advisor

Hi,

RAID manager communicate to your storage via
the Command device (one LUN configured as Ccommand device). RAIDMANAGER initiates the
horcminstances and it telle whether to perform BC or CA .The PVOL nd SVOL shpould be same size .And each mapped LUN should be configured in the horcm files in the systems.
So when you initiate the BC the Raid manager
initiate the process and reads the horcm files and the called activity(pair create,pair resync )starts. Hope that you got the idea.. this is a synopsis of what is happening..

All the best..
ionic_tease
Advisor

Thanks!